ELK CALLS

J

JROUTDOORSMAN

Hola fellow elkohlics and antleraddicts,
I would like to get some input on different elk calls that are out there on the market. I have been hunting deer and ducks for most of my life and now Im going to take it up another step "ELK HUNTING". Im not tring to become a master caller overnight or in a month or year. I just want some input from fellow hunters on where I should start and how I should go about calling.

Thankxs,
JROUTDOORSMAN

Well I am no master myself but I do have a select few that I like to use over all the calls I have for elk. Mainly I use them because they work for me.
E.L.K. Power Bugle
This is a very easy call to use, good raghorn bugle sound but use with caution because if you are not careful it can be loud and scary. It is real easy to make a dominant 400 class bull bugle with this one and you don't want to run the big boys off.
Primos Hoochie Mama and Hot Lips are good cow calls.
Woodwise and Carltons Calls are also good brands.
Whatever calls you like just make sure you have at least 3 different good sounding cow calls with you more than anything.
Good luck.

As a duck hunter I am sure you have an array of duck calls. A couple I am sure are your favs. Same with ELK.

Diaphrams are far a better choice but takes time and practice. The Bugling Bull Game Call Company makes some very good diaphrams.

Another avenue is the kits that you make your own.

Several diffent cow calls - reed style.

Diaghrams and tube for both bull and cow sounds.

i second the buglin bull (rockie jacobsen) diaphragms...best hands down that i have tried...i also recently purchased his "who's yrrrr daddy and monarch bugle" and have been happy with them...i previously used primos diaphragms and although they have some of rockies rights they are not as good in my opinion and i hate carltons diaphragms...for externals i use carltons fightin cow and estrus whine, primos i use the hot lips and hoochie mamma...gotta try what works best for you...good luck in your search...

solrac

With a little practice, you can make most every bull sound (and a few cow sounds) you need to with the Power bugle (white bands)
I fabricated my own cow call near 20 years ago and have called in hundreds of bulls with it. Its a unique sound of a very excited cow, (fighting or in heat) rarely heard. Hard to explain, but VERY DIFFERENT from anything that is on the market today. Not sure if I ever want to market it, no need to really. My closest freinds and family dont know how I make them.
I am not familiar with any other commercial cow calls so I wouldnt know what to reccomend, but again, the Powerbugle is the most versatile commercial bull call I have heard.

life IS good

Although I havent any experience calling in bull moose, I did devise a moose call today as well, for next months Alaska archery hunt. Its not so top secret. It consists of one $2.89 oil funnel (black), I drilled a couple holes in it for a string, sanded the sheen from it and have dubbed it "THE YUKON WHORE" Ill let you know how it works.

life IS good

I have been making my own diaphram calls for the past 3 years. I purchased my call making kit on-line from www.myelkcall.com and I make them just the way I like them. Plus I do not feel bad when I throw them away after blowing them out. At only $1.40 each I use a new call every day while hunting. Can make new one in 5 minutes in camp. Might want to check them out. You can also make turkey calls with the same materials.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom