Elk hunt or job?

L

lucaar

I drew an archery elk tag this year in Book Cliffs Little Creek. I am hunting the 28th through the 8th. I have been actively looking for a new job (I am a starving realtor). I had a job interview last week and they called me yesterday offering me the job. Bad thing is they want me to start when I will be elk hunting. I told them I coudn't start until after the hunt so now I am pretty sure I am not getting the job. Just couldn't get myself to pass on the elk hunt after waiting so long for the tag, shooting everyday for the last 7 months etc. What would you guys do? Would you pass up a good job for a good elk hunt. It was a no brainer for me. Now I just have to deal with the wife. Might be get a little uncomfortable on the couch...but the elk hunt for me comes before the Job or the wife :)

I thought about that but hunting the weekends in the Roadless area is pretty hard to do. Takes pretty much all day to get back in there.

I am going to show Eriene(sp) your first post where you put that the elk hunt comes before your wife. LOL.

I guess it depends on the defenition of "good job". If it really is a good job (meaning long term, with health benefits, etc.) I would take it. Elk photos and meat don't pay the bills.

Eel

Sounds like you take the job and mind will be on your hunt anyways. Hard to get the most out of your work if your only partly there. Go chase big bulls and and come back ready to work.
I have been in your shoes almost every fall. Including this year. Things always work out.

you have to take the job.....unless you want to be a dead beat!!
won't your unemployment benfits end if you refuse work? any job!
hope they don't report you to your local employment office!
hunt weekends!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Since you are a realator, I would go hunting. I know realators that are busting their hump everyday in this market and are still starving. You can tough it out for a few weeks until this OIL hunt is over.

Hey rack, he doesn't have unemployment benefits. If you have an active RE license you don't qualify for the benefits.

Rackmaster-

Did you not read my post? I am a realtor and I work two other part time jobs already...I wouldn't call that refusing to work smart guy. How would you know I receive unemployment? I don't, and have never received unemployment benefits so guess no one can report me for that. I guess I am a dead beat for working three jobs and elk hunting then. It always suprises me the junk that people post that have no idea what the heck they are talking about. Rackmaster...no offense but plese pull your head out before you post again?

You tell him Adam! SINCE I AM WORKING TODAY.... (RACKMASTER).....I just made you some more money renting out one of your machines.

Since I have a wife and child to think about, they come first. I'd have sent back the tag, got my points back and started working...

Yeah...my wife and kids mean a lot to me too. Which is why I am already WORKING THREE JOBS. There is no way I would ever turn that tag back in....especially after waiting 11 years. And by the way.....I can't send the tag back. The hunt started last week. Your responses have been great...keep them coming!

Aaron,
Go and enjoy your hunt, hell I have quit good jobs to go hunting and when I get back it works out and almost always for the better. Good luck and take lots of pictures.

OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed taters and gravy.

go Hunting......Don't worry about Money, They print more of it everyday!!!

Troutcrk
"Livin the Dream"

OMG! You are BAAAAD! If I were your wife and heard you say the hunt comes before ME, you'd better be darn sure you're a good shot and that you like living outdoors cuz I'd have kicked your butt out. LOL ;-)

That smiley face at the end means I was kidding. My wife is hot as hell...I would never trade her for elk head :)

erienne.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-09 AT 03:39PM (MST)[p]I have a couple extra "Elk heads" laying around in case you're interested :) j/k

Nice...bass!

Joey

edit; Go hunting!! i work any and every day that i can all year so i can hunt a few weeks in the fall. No matter what, i'm going hunting. Then again, i'm single...

After waiting 11 yrs I am surprised you are even considering not going hunting! you only live once man and all those big bucks you'll make in that week you can't take with you when your gone. But.... imo, you can take the memories!

I can't believe you are asking the question either.

Go hunting.

If the wife and kids are starving, that's one thing, but if not, explain it to the wife and the employer. If neither one get's it......oh well.

I have quit several jobs when they said I couldn't go hunting, even though they agreed to the deal up front.

I have also had 4 wives...........and some fantastic hunting trips!

Am I right? Hell no, maybe not for you, but that was how I did it and that's how it is.

By the way, your hot wife just might be with a guy with a job when you get back? Women like money, not elk!;-)

My mom and dad eh.... did you read the other posts? I currently have three jobs right now. I am a real estate broker, a licensed lender and I work at The Bear River Lodge for ALP75 on the weekends. So if I have three jobs and I passed up on a little better job to go elk hunting, my mom and dad should have kicked my ass for slacking? KTC do you have three jobs? If not your mom and dad should kick your ass for slacking. This is hilarious. Sorry KTC...to me the only things that come before this elk hunt are god, my wife and my kids. Is was very nice to hear your opinion though. Please keep them coming. Good laughs for a Sunday evening :).

I've never been married and have made the choice.But you made a choice.That said I'd hunt,and look for new not-wife.

KTC-

I HAVE A JOB....I HAVE THREE JOBS!!!!! Please read prior posts. I don't know about your wife but my wife loves me not money ;). Take it easy you guys. I HAVE THREE JOBS RIGHT NOW. MY FAMILY IS NOT STARVING.I AM NOT ON UNEMPOLOYMENT. I was simply faced with s decision to take a little better job or go elk hunting. Holy crap!!!!

If your prospective employer don't get it you don't want to work there! I've been there, once I explained my priorities they have always come around. If not.....see ya!
Ed

Finally!!!!! Words of wisdom!!! I am hoping they will work with me, but we will see. If not I will tough out real estate and my other jobs until something comes up. Wise words ED.

Demand a raise from Alp, forget the new job offer, quit the other two, and go hunting on the additional two weeks paid vacation you negotiate from Alp with the raise. Problem solved. Alp don't be a scrouge... pay up. :)

498a6f395e505405.jpg

Overton- That is the best damn I idea I have heard. You are a funny man. 1911 I will try and get ALP to pay up. I am also going to help pack his goat out later in September...so he owes me!

I guess all I read was you were a starving real eastate pimp?'-) Starving means no money!

I would rather have one good job than 3 chitty ones? Now I am not saying your job are chitty, but like a good wife, one is enough!;-)

Work young man! Work!

I find it ironic that you ask for advice, then get made when
people give it to you (ie. KTC). The way you made it sound
was that you were hurting for a job.

I really could careless what you do, hope you make the right
decision.

I don't think he was asking for advice. I think he made it clear what he intended to do and the decision he made, then for fun asked what we would do in his situation. Obviously some would take the job, others would hunt, and still others would try to do both.

BTW, he is an outstanding guy and is working three different jobs including one for me on weekends. He does take care of his family and his friends and would help pretty much any of you if needed. I think he just wanted to see what other people would do if stuck in his situation and not asking for advise.

Aaron, good luck and kill a good bull. Your wife, family and at least one of your employers will still be around when you get back and anxious to see your work in the field.

Good luck on both fronts. Happy hunting and good luck on the job search. I think my decision on wether to take the job would depend on the offer??

I like the idea of taking the job and then calling in sick. LMAO

First of all, your original post said, and I quote, "I have been actively looking for a new job (I am a starving realtor). That led me, and others, to believe you didn't have a job. So you can see the confusion. Second, you made the decision to get married and have 2 other jobs. Now you face another decision. Whater you chose, there will be consequences that you don't want. Like that new country song says, "that sounds like life to me". As much as I love to hunt, there are things that are waaaaaaaay more important in life. Maybe I'm a little old fasioned but your family should come first long before an elk hunt. Turn it back in. I find it hard to believe that anybody would turn a job down in this economy for an elk hunt. WOW!

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

I am definately not mad at anyone (KTC). As I said in my first post, it was a no brainer for me. I already made the decision.....ie. I wasn't asking for advice. I was simply wondering what everyone else would do when faced with a tough decision like that. I didn't expect KTC to bring Maw and Paw into the discussion....they kicked my ass plenty when I was growing up, thanks for reminding me :). KTC, I wish I did have one good job instead of three (they aren't chitty jobs..hmmm....well maybe the job at Bear River :), but things are tough right now and you do what you have to do. At least I have one good wife, four great kids, and one freaking awesome elk tag!!!! I will post pics of the bull that falls to a well placed Grim Greaper next week.

BTW- Thanks Adam for all your help this year and last. You are a great friend. Without you I wouldn't be going elk hunting this year. Can't wait to help pay you back by helping you pack out your Booner goat.

Like lucarr said in his prior post he can't turn the tag back in, the archery hunt has already started so there would be no refund and he would not get his bonus points back either. The job offer I am assuming came after the start of the LE archery opener.

OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed taters and gravy.

Yeah Jim...I clarified that in post 16, then again in post 37, when I saw the confusion. My bad. There are so many posts you probably just missed it. Jim I sent you a PM last week. Did you get it?

Doesn't matter what we would do. My only recommendation--if you've not already done it--is to sit down with that darlin' wife of yours and make the decision together. Regardless of the decision, if the both of you got on the same page about it, then you can't go wrong.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-09 AT 00:04AM (MST)[p]My son is going through this right now, as he was offered a job he really wants, and they wanted him to start today. He'd already told them he'd be able to start at the beginning of September, as we're antelope hunting right now on a very tough to draw tag that he got this year. He told them he'd be there as soon as he kills an antelope, and he's fairly sure they're going to hold the spot open for him, but if not he'll find another boat to work on.

Of course, for him the decision is a bit easier, as he's only 21, is single, and has no responsibilities to anyone but himself.

why you sucker punch me? dude you asked!
I quit a job to go hunting once (boss cried a real tear)...
I was very young and had no responsibilities or bills to pay (gas, food, rent)!
I am very skilled and can get a job any time any area I want...
hell if I was you(and glad am not because such a hot wife having to work in a restaurant to put food on the table is not right!ever!) I WOULD HAVE HAD MY BROKERS LIC BY NOW and bought a Gov Tag!!
jobs market is still 1 year away from recovery!
real estate is never going to recover...
I always thought of guys like as selfish!!

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Sorry rackmaster but your posts make no sense to me. Wife working in a restaurant to put food on the table? What the hell is that? My wife doesn't work in a restaurant. I make enough to support my family with my jobs. What the hell are you talking about? Real estate market never going to recover? Are you for real? Me on unemployment? Again, what the hell are you talking about? I don't remember asking you anyting rackmaster. And by the way...you threw the first punch. I responded. I might be misunderstanding you bacause I can't follow any of your posts. They make no sense. I am sure you are very skilled at what you do. Can you use some of those skills when you post so I can follow what you are saying? Also stop throwing bs in there about my wife, unemployment etc. You don't know me. Again no offense intended. Can you stop ripping on me now and just stick with the the question I origonally posted? By the way...a broker's license won't get you a governor's tag. It gets you a very tough job in a very challenging economy. Take it easy man. Save it for the hills :).

Best of luck to you on your qwest for a monster Elk.

I hope you still get the job when your hunt is over assuming it is a Job you want for the long term.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.elkhuntersports.com

Finally somebody has their priorties right. Go kill a bull find work later. Best of luck. wacmaster

luc,

I did not read them all. I made sure I stuck in plenty of winky eyes because I was just busting your balls!;-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-)

KTC...ur cool. I will know how you are the next time around :). Don't be suprised if I take the oppurtunity to do some ball busting of my own in the future. I will let you all know how the hunt goes. Two more days and I am gone for 10.

I thought everyone hunted in Utah. Your new boss should give you a signing bonus, pay for a guide and be happy to have someone coming to work for him who can draw a tag. If he does not I would not take the job!! :) Good luck and sounds like you have your priorities straight. Enjoy the hunt! Momma probably knows how long you have waited for this tag. She would probably be more pissed than you if you shot a Raghorn :) My wife hunts very little and she tells me not to waste my tag. Shoot a big one!! Mash a big Stinky and post pics!!!Good luck!

woodruffhunter-

I heard through the grape vine that you have an Nebo tag? If you do I might be able to help. Let me know.

Family comes first. This is kind of a sore spot with me. I've met my fair share of hunters who consistently kill big animals every year and they are respected and touted by many for doing so, yet some of these guys are a poor excuse for a family man. Don't get me wrong, I love to hunt more than anything, but you gotta find that balance and there are many great hunters who do. You can always draw the hunt in the near future.It's a tough choice either way!

Get on the phone and prospect for new business (real estate). You wont need to find a new "job"

Cabinfever...If I could draw the tag in the near future I would have taken the job. It took me 11 years to draw this tag. It will take me another 15 to draw it again.......not the near future. I do however see your point. Family comes first. Luckily I will ok for the next few months. I'll work my other jobs when I get back till I find something better.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom