Elk Preference Points

FullCurlHunter

Instead of searching numerous state websites, I thought I would outsource to you guys for some quick information as deadlines are approaching.

I am looking to start building preferance points for Elk in Colorado, Whyoming, Montana, Nevada and and Idaho.

Here are my quesions are as follows for EACH particular state.

1. Can I apply for preferance points only and use them for any unit or do I need to select a unit to build points in for each state?

2. What is the cost to apply for preferance points, do I need to pay the full license cost for a point or am I reimbursed a portion? How much?

3. Am I only allowed one preference point per year or can I apply for more for say rifle and bow?

Any other helpful information would be great!

Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-08 AT 10:11AM (MST)[p]For Colorado, you build points by species, so you can apply for a deer and an elk point in the same year. They are good for any hunt for that species, regardless of the unit. You pay the full tag price up front and they refund all but the application fee and the preferecne point fee. You can answer any other questions on page 3 and 4 of this link:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdon...E36-9263-7DE1CE74B424/0/index_information.pdf

Don't know about the other states, but Montana has "bonus points" not preference points. You CAN NOT apply for just a point, you can only apply for a hunt.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-08 AT 01:18AM (MST)[p]Colorado and Wyoming use a true preference Point system Montana uses a Bonus point system at this time Idaho does not have a point system in place.

You can join the Huntin fool and they cover all western states for building points and general info on most units in the West it is $100 a year for 12 issues per year.

www.Huntinfool.com

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

FullCurlHunter,

Much of what I said for sheep (see other thread) applies for elk. However, Colorado has not addressed point creep for elk. They give deer, elk, and antelope tags to highest point holders--which is creeping every year especially for elk. With that said CO does have a diversity of hunting opportunities and it is certainly a worthwhile to look at. My advice is do you homework for each state and find a system that works for you. I don't use Hunting Fool, but it would be helpful if you don't mind dropping a little more money each year (I have heard good things about HF). However, it would still be in your best interest to learn what each state has to offer. Hunters need to be more cognizant of changes in tag allocation systems, across the country, and how that affects the the sport, the next generation, and wildlife conservation.

GD

Colorado's been covered, most points gets the tag. Send in your $$$ and you get all back but $3.00. Very best hunts will probably take 30+ NR points if you're just starting. 80/20 split resident/NR tags in best units. APPLY IN APRIL

Wyoming has a draw where 40% of the tags go Special (2x's price)
and 60% go random. Within both of these groups, 75% go to the persons with the most points. That leaves 25% of each of these groups people with less than max points. I believe deer points ar $40.00 and elk $50.00. APPLY IN JANUARY, BUY POINT IN JULY/AUGUST/SEPT.

Nevada you have to buy the license first. Approx $140.00. $15.00 to apply for deer and antelope, $20.00 for elk and sheep.
If you spend the $$$ for the license in NV, apply for antelope, deer, elk and all 3 sheep species. Split that $140.00 license fee 6 ways. Nv squares your points, 1X1 point is one plus your application for the next year, 5X5 plus application is 26. This is your chances to draw a low #. Your lowest draw # is your number. More chances the better your odds. Reviewing the Nv elk draw odds though you'll see where a guy with 3 points drew a tag over someone with 12 points, thats 10 chances versus 145 chances. Hope I didn't confuse you.

Idaho has no points but you have to buy the license to apply, approx $150.00 and if you apply for elk, deer or antelope, you can not apply for sheep, goat or moose. Based on this, Idaho has pretty good draw odds for elk. Once again, if you're gonna buy the license and apply for elk, apply for deer and antelope for about $6.00 each.

Montana has bonus points and your chances get better each year. When you draw, you can apply for special tags (draw tags) for certain hunts. These are generally the best hunts as the amount of tags are restricted.

If you archery hunt, each state is different but in Idaho, most draw units can be hunted OTC for archery.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom