elk rifle and loads

4point

Looking for opinions on muzzleloader, bullets and powder suitable for elk hunting. Im not new to muzzleloading as I have had a TC Renegade for quite a few years and killed a few whitetails with it. Would like to get into elk hunting with a muzzy and use a more reliable, weatherproof gun, but I dont know much about the modern equipment out there.

You can't do much better than the renegade regardless of what people say. I will be carrying mine in Colorado this fall. As far as being waterproof, you can't get mine wet. I have a Kap Kover on the rear and it is totally waterproof and acts as a safety as well. Add a muzzle mitt up front and no rain can get in.

If you want an inline, by all means don't let me talk you out of it. I have 4 myself! If you can shoot sabots, you can't beat the design or waterproofness of the T/C Omega or Encore. But don't buy one if you think you want to shoot conicals. Some will shoot them, some won't. They will replace the barrel if it won't shoot sabots well, but won't guarantee conicals. Most of the Knights (extreme, mountain hunter) will shoot both and the CVA accura or Apex are good shooters for both.

So kind of depends on whether you will be hunting where sabots and scopes are legal or if you will be using open sights and/or conicals.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I shoot powerbelts in my renegade and 95 gr of blackpowder. The most accurate combo I have tried, but only accurate out to 80 yds. It seems heavy to carry around in the mtns also. Didnt know about the kapp cover and muzzle mitt.
Looking to hunt in Colo and hopefully in Nev some day. Nev allows sabots, peep or open sights and pyrodex, 777 bot not smokeless powder

I have a rear tang peep and a front fiberoptic sight and use the "6-o'clock" hold. I am good out to 120 yards.

Here is the Kap Kover:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_100_355&products_id=7657

It has a special nipple that has an "O" ring. The brass "Kover" piece fits over the nipple to produce a watertight seal and also if the hammer falls on the brass, it won't fire. Simply slip off the kover (friction fit) and shoot.

Muzzle mitts are for the end of the barrel:

http://www.octobercountry.com/products/Muzzle-Mitts.html

When I used powerbelts, I used 405 gr for elk. I now use Hornady FPBs or no excuses in my renegade.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

You plan on hunting two different states with different bullets regs. So with that in mind I would stay away from TC as they are not known to shoot conicals well. With that in mind your budget will determine the gun I would recommend a knight mountaineer but they are a little pricey. Have heard good things about CVA but have no personnel experience with them. But both guns should shoot conicals and sabots well.

I prefer loose as it gives you more fine tuning options as for caps that will depend on which powder you use with bh 209 you will need a hotter primer like a cci 209m with 777 you will need a diffrent primer like whinchesters that are made for 777

Im likely to draw CO elk muzzy this year and just got a new muzzy in antispation for it. CVA V-2. Shot it for the first time today. Im pleased with the results. Factory fiber optic sights, got about a 3 inch group at 100 yards multiple times. Both 295 and 300 grain powerbelts shot almost the same place. 295 about 1 inche lower overall. Win 209 primers. 100 grains of Blackhorn.

Just my opinion, but on the 3 whitetails that I shot a few years back, powerbelts did not "stay together" very well. They damn sure killed all 3 bucks, but I would be hesitant to use them on elk.

Ive heard that. My experience with muzzleloaders has been sabots with SST's. Never powerbelts. Where you using the platinum powerbelts? Just curious as Ive heard those where better on elk for penetration than the standard copper clad powerbelts. I plan on using the platinums, but they sure do cost more though.

When I drew my Nevada elk tag I bought a CVA Accura, used 338 grain platimum Power Belts over 100 grains of BH 209.

I worked up loads with different powders and bullets with a 2X7 scope mounted on the gun. Once I decided the load I removed the scope. Was going to get aftermarket sights for the gun. But with the accuracy I was getting I left the stock sights on.

Dead on @ 100 yards I was 10" low @ 200' and 23" low @ 250'.

My left to right was never more than 3", even at 250 yards.

I shot my bull facing me @ 140'. He rocked back and stood still for about 5 seconds. Then 4 hooves in the sky. But I didn't recover the bullet because I used the "gutless" method of quartering elk.

On my next muzzleloader elk hunt ,I will be shooting my CVA Wolf with 348 grain Powerbelts over 90 grains of Pyrodex P.Very accurate load in my rifle and the rifle is light in weight and cleans easy.
I have never had a shot at over about 60 yards.Most alot closer,if they respond to my calls.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom