elk unit 50

monkey

i was looking for some input on unit 50 for elk! how is the elk hunting in unit 50, whats a good bull for that area, elk numbers,?

It's a tough place to hunt! Hunted it a few years back and I have never been so discouraged on a hunt. There are spots that hold good numbers of elk but there are tons of hunters after the same prize! As big as that unit is you would be surprised how congested it gets with hunters. Any legal bull there Is a good one! If I were you I would look elsewhere if you want a decent tag.

51 or 52 or 53 would be a better choice. Again tons of hunters but the success rate is much much better along with better trophy quality not much better but you get the idea.

I agree it is a tough hunt. My sister had that tag last year. We saw one bull and two cows in 2.5 days of hunting. We got on the bull at 275 yards, but she couldn't get set up. The bull wasn't spooked so I thought we could get closer. That is until I see two other hunters a few hundred yards off going after the same bull and one of them eventually blows on his hoochie mama with the bull within 150 yards. Never saw him again. It is doable but tough. I agree with the last post if its legal you better shoot. Good luck.

Don't waste your time! Unless you are going to go on private land, late in December after the migration, you will be disappointed.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-15 AT 11:15AM (MST)[p]I hunted 50 the second rifle hunt year before last and had a good time. Didn't kill, but had chances at a couple small bulls if I'd wanted one. I hunted an area far away from where everyone else was hunting and never saw anyone else while I was hunting. There were some guys back in there cutting wood and they gave me some good intel that also helped out. The roads were absolute crap, and to get back there where I was took some doing. Lots of washed out sections of road and deep sand. There was one real good bull in the basin I hunted but I couldn't find him with enough daylight to get a shot. The were out on the flats in the morning but would always make it into the thick pinyon/juniper ridges before legal shooting light. I had a good point to glass the basin from but once I dropped down from my vantage point, I couldn't see 20 yards much less keep track of where they were going. I tried hunting water in the evenings, but they were coming in after dark. I will continue to use it as my third choice. So, the best advice I can give you if you draw this unit is get away from everyone else. Yes, there are quite a few elk on Pot Mountain and Chiflo, but a LOT of hunters as well.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom