Elk watering?

it can be 24/7 during The Rut,but usually the majority use the "Holes" in the early and late daytime hours and of course All night long = 24 hours aday.In Nv ,I have a trail camera that shows just this,24/7.Have fun,it is a great time to be out there

Set up some trail cams. They are a tool that will help you find out some of the questions you are asking. I think it depends on the time of year. Good Luck.

+1 on trail cams or scouting in person

I have blinds on 2 water holes less than 2 miles apart. One is mostly used in the morning, the other mostly at night. Different herd, different pattern. Pre-rut sees some bulls wandering through at any time, but it's big country with little water and the elk are scattered so it's unpredictable. Go figure.

I've sat water for elk for many years and although I agree you can see them in the morning, or the evening, or during the daytime, by far your best odds are late afternoon to late evening to actually see an elk water or wallow.

499971351383ae9f.jpg

499972b91889e207.jpg

Have a good one. BB

http://www.elknut.com
Vortex Optics Dealer

I'm with BB, later in the day produces more action & sightings! Of course the hotter weather is best as well for predictable use! I will say I've had many bulls & cows visit particular wallows first thing in the morning. Elk will use wallows mostly from mid Aug. to mid Sept. activity starts to taper off after this. They still use them but once Peak Rut hits they can get pre-occupied & you'll notice wallow activity drop considerably!

ElkNut1

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom