elk - what would you do

searcher

I have never killed an elk but sure do want to. I have been on 2 DIY elk hunts and saw a total of 2 cows and 1 calf, although on the first DIY hunt the oldest guy in camp lucked into a big 5 X 4 that had its tops broken off. It was the only elk that he saw. Last year, I burned max points in area 23 on a guided hunt and it absoluted SUCKED. Now, I am looking at trying to get a general tag and am looking at hunting the snowy range or the big horns. I was wondering if anyone had any comments on which of these two areas would provide the best chance for someone to get lucky and kill a decent bull. I have no allusions of taking a tropy. A 250-300 bull would suit me fine. I am looking at these two areas because I have hunted them before. I was in the bighorns one time and have hunted the snowy range several times. I am also looking at hunting deer so that is another reason I am looking at these two areas - hunt the last week of deer season and scout for elk, then hunt into elk season. I am a non-resident so preseason scouting is out of the question. Any advise would be appreciated or should I be looking at Colorado?

Tim

With no PPs you would need to go into the Special higher priced draw for a gemeral tag and those people had an 89% chance at drawing the tag. Otherwise, you need to look at an OTC tag in Colorado.

Good point 270! I meant to mention that too, as well as the fact that the Region R deer tag that covers the west side of the Bighorns isn't a lock unless you have a PP or go into the special draw with no PPs.

I realize that the general tag is not guaranteed. I am looking for some help on deciding whether it is worth the extra money to try the special drawing. I have seen snow the first week of deer season move lots of elk from the NF down onto the private ranches when I was deer hunting in the snowy range. How does the weather affect the elk in the bighorns?

There is usually never the amount of snow during October in most years to push the majority out of the higher public lands. Usually the cows are the first to come down into the lower winter range areas and that's why seasons are open so early on them on the west side down low in unit 45 because they are hammering the agriculatural fields.

A GEN tag in the Special side, is 100% for the last several years.

The reason 1st choice "special" PREF POINT draw is "89%" and not 100% is because there are more 1st choice applicants than allotted tags. The remaining 1st choice PP guys drop down to the random draw where they pick up their tags, then the 2nd choice guys pick up their tags. The remaining tags go to the "regular" NR random draw.
So, even though the odds sheet shows the PP draw at 89% for zero point guys, they do get the tag, just in the random draw instead of the PP draw.

That's the one friggin thing I can't get through my thick skull, LOL! From the getgo when they started the NR PPS thingy, I was under the impression that if you didn't draw the tag in the PP draw that you went into the random draw with the same chance as those with no PPs.

You are correct, the difference in this particular instance is that in the random draw the tags are getting picked up by the 1st choice guys that came from the pp draw. Remember, everyone is in the pp draw regardless of points. All 1st choice apps get looked at 1st, so if you miss the pp draw there may be enough tags in the random draw to pick you up, as is the case for the gen special tags.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom