Enough Gun?

Zacko1

For those who have hunted mule deer with a .243, what is the maximum range you would consider and what size bullets do you use?

Enough gun? ABSOLUTELY! I have harvested mule deer out to 300 yards with a .243 using 100 grain bullets. Put it in the vitals and you are good to go.

LAST EDITED ON May-16-16 AT 04:09PM (MST)[p]I killed an antelope at 400 yards with a 100 gr. My wife killed a spike elk at 200 with a 243 oh and I killed a muley at 200 with a 243. I personally probably wouldnt go much past 300 yards but if u hit it good u certainly could kill one further out. Especially with a good premium bullet

Yeah it's amazing what those type of calibers will do to deer. Well wait a minute, maybe I'm one of those guys that has been tricked into needing a magnum. My first rifle was a 7mm rem. I always had magnums till I HAD to use a measly 30-06 on deer. It was mind blowing how it just flattened them time after time! As a young guy my dad shot the hell out of whitetails with his 22-250. 400yds at times. Just amazing...how easy we get tricked into thinking bigger is better. It shows in our girths.

I figure the 243 with CORELOKTs (no joke) or other good bullets are good on non-rutting muleys for about 350 or so. I wish I could shoot one and believe in it, but I am unfortunately too far conned at this point. Of 14 rifles my smallest is a (besides a 700adl 223 and 357 marlin) 300 win mag. I'm too far gone to save, for I have magnumitus extremus.

>
>I figure the 243 with CORELOKTs
>(no joke) or other good
>bullets are good on non-rutting
>muleys for about 350 or
>so. I wish I
>could shoot one and believe
>in it, but I am
>unfortunately too far conned at
>this point. Of 14 rifles
>my smallest is a (besides
>a 700adl 223 and 357
>marlin) 300 win mag. I'm
>too far gone to save,
>for I have magnumitus extremus.
>

Oh boy, this isn't good!

How a bullet performs and where it is placed is far more important to me than how big and fast it flies. So, in my mind, much of the answer to your maximum distance question, depends on how accurate the shooter can be with your little rig and how well constructed the bullet is.

I don't have a 243 but I have a 257 Roberts, which is similar in size and velocity. It's deadly accurate but even with Nosler Partitioned bullets, I set my deer shooting limits to under 400 yards and that would be in perfect conditions. Small lead or copper pills are like feathers when the wind blows, so air turbulence is definitely a limiting factor.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom