Erratic fixed blade flight

Wabagon

I'm shooting a Mathews Monster 7 at 70lbs 29.5 inch draw, QAD ultra rest, Carbon Express Maxima 350 w/blazer vanes. I'm not exactly sure how fast i'm shooting but I would guess around 310-315 FPS. My field tips and mechanical broadheads shoot great but I have shot Montec and Wac'em fixed blades and they are all over the place, not consitent at all. Will a bigger vane with more hilical fix this problem?

First, go get your bow tuned. Everytime I have had erratic flight with fixed heads, it ended up being something came out of tune on my bow. Also, make sure you have the proper spined arrows for your set up. Off the top of my head, they should be around 300 spine for that set up and 350 spine may be a little under spined.

I have about the same draw length and FPS with my bow. I use the Gold Tip Hunter 300s with blazer vanes and they fly really well for me shooting a fixed head. I may be wrong, but bigger vanes with more helical may not fix the progam on the same arrows. But, there are others on there that could answer that part better than I can.

LAST EDITED ON May-30-11 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]Thanks for the reply Elkhunter. I was looking at the adjusted bow draw weight chart on the carbon express website and according to that you are right, I may be a little under-spined. I have some gold tip velocity .300's I don't use now, so if I shoot my fixed blades on those and they shoot consistent that would indicate that an under-spined arrow is the problem even though it's a completely different arrow right???

Shoot your bow through paper and then try the 300's through paper. It will literally tell you what is wrong with your set up.

Good luck!

depending on how long the arrow shaft is and your point weight, you may be underspined. When in doubt, go stiffer.

Yea, I would check for any fletching contact...you can put some lip stick or foot powder on the edges of your fletching, shoot it and then check your rest for lipstick/powder marks. You have a great rest in the QAD, it might just need some adjusting.
It's all part of the game until you have it all figured out. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom