even more Obama for sportsman.. Wolves

schmalts

Gray wolf to remain regulated until rules can be reviewed
By Lee Bergquist of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Jan. 21, 2009

The hand of the new administration quickly touched Wisconsin and the gray wolf when President Barack Obama on Tuesday signed an executive order providing time to review pending actions affecting the environment and other areas of government.

The order means that the wolf - whose numbers are growing in Wisconsin - will remain regulated under the Endangered Species Act until rules removing key protections can be re-examined.

Last week, the Interior Department and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said they had rewritten the regulations affecting the treatment of wolves in the Upper Midwest and several Rocky Mountain states to satisfy objections raised by federal judges.

The judges were ruling on lawsuits by environmental groups that challenged an earlier decision that took the wolf off the Endangered Species List for more than a year in the Midwest.

Removing the wolf from the list allowed the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources to issue permits to landowners to kill wolves that were shown to be killing livestock or pets.

Judge sought clarification
Wisconsin had the authority between March 2007 and September 2008. But wolves were relisted after a judge in Washington, D.C., sought clarification on how officials could remove protections where wolves are recovering, but not everywhere in their native range.

Last week's decision had been applauded by the DNR and hunting and farming groups, which worried that wolves are harming livestock and attacking hunting dogs and pets.

Obama's action will allow the Interior Department time to stop the regulation of wolves in "piecemeal fashion," said Michael Robinson of the Center for Biological Diversity in Pinos Altos, N.M. He said wolves still remain absent from 95% of their historic range.

In Wisconsin, the wolf population has grown from 250 in 2000 to an estimate of 537 to 564 last winter, according to the DNR.

The agency goal for recovery is 350 wolves.

The latest development has no immediate effect, according to Adrian Wydeven, a wolf ecologist with the DNR.

But if Obama's review continues until spring, he said, conflict between wolves and property owners could once again rise.

Wolf attacks on livestock and other domestic animals tend to increase in spring after wolves have litters and need more food for their young, he said.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said the agency hopes the review will move quickly.

"It is really just a delay, in our minds, so the administration can take some time to come up to speed," said Laura Ragan, a biologist for the agency.

I was afraid this might happen. it isn't like deregulation was a done deal anyway but this isn't going to help.

One day in office and already screwing things up. Remember Dude your the one that wanted him, so don't complain to us. We warned you, but you wouldn't listen. Can't wait till he starts screwing with our guns, and its on the agenda, you can count on it.

I've always said there are things I don't like about Obama, if he sides with the wolf freaks as I fear this will be one of those things.

Even if I hated him as much as you do he still would have been elected I wasn't the swing vote guy, just one of the pitfalls of a democracy for you I guess.

On a lighter note, the dogooders marched in protest of the 36th anniversary of Roe V Wade today. knowing just how much they know they're screwed with Obama in office makes my day. this is one of the things I like about Obama, you can't have it all, as much as I wish we could we can't.

>I've always said there are things
>I don't like about Obama,
>if he sides with the
>wolf freaks as I fear
>this will be one of
>those things.
>
>Even if I hated him as
>much as you do he
>still would have been elected
>I wasn't the swing vote
>guy, just one of the
>pitfalls of a democracy for
>you I guess.
>
> On a lighter note, the
>dogooders marched in protest of
>the 36th anniversary of Roe
>V Wade today. knowing just
>how much they know they're
>screwed with Obama in office
>makes my day. this is
>one of the things I
>like about Obama, you can't
>have it all, as much
>as I wish we could
>we can't.

I see your pro-murder 'eh, not surprised.....

Well I guess if having the supreme court, the majority of Americans and the president thinking like me makes me a murder then a murder'in I will go.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom