Every hunter should know this

I've had it happen with cows twice. I put a rope on them and pulled one with a pickup and one with a 4 wheeler. Each time they had laid down in a shallow irrigation ditch.

I only posted this because I know how much you all love sheep on public lands. I've only ran across sheep twice and I think both times was in Nevada while pronghorn hunting.

I bet @hossblur could teach us all a thing or two about proper sheep care and the proper boots to wear while taking care of sheep…,
Well,

We have a 16" Dutch oven, fill it stuffed full of mutton, preferably with grease from previous cook. Liberal pepper, some salt. Put on camp chef, med high.

Once the grease turns clear you have about 15 min to done.

Other burner has a 12 deep oven with cut taters, to which we add chilli's and then melt cheese.

Because it's deer hunt, tradition says Seagrams VO with diet Coke to go with it.

That's what I know about sheep.

We usually kill 7 mutton for muzzy and rifle camps.

Some old timers, meaning the guys that were old 25 years ago and long dead now, claimed the massive herds of sheep, that came to the western States, in the last half of the 1900th century are what caused the mule deer population to explode. They also believed then the sheep operators switched to cattle, when the market for sheep went away, beginning in the 1950’s and has continued until now, the mule deer population declined at a corresponding rate as the number of sheep AUMs switched to cows.

They also believed a number of different issues related to sheep grazing were the reasons way. One big one was when they outlawed 1080 poison that the sheep men used liberally to control coyote, cougar and bear populations. They keep human shepherds with the sheep, they shot anything that threaded a lamb. The sheep ate the forbes and the browse down to the ground, from the bottom of the mountain to the top. Eating those plants to the ground, every year, kept mule deer habitat fresh, succulent, and full of high protein that super charged the does milk for their fawns. Thus, more fawn grew more body fat before in the fall, more fat to survive cold winters and late springs.

Where there those old times right?

I don’t know………… but their rational made sense to me. Wouldn’t you think someone, some where in, by some wildlife bureaucracy, through some research laboratory, in some University, somebody would have tested their theory by now.

After all these years, I don’t think anyone will………… what do you think?

Well,

We have a 16" Dutch oven, fill it stuffed full of mutton, preferably with grease from previous cook. Liberal pepper, some salt. Put on camp chef, med high.

Once the grease turns clear you have about 15 min to done.

Other burner has a 12 deep oven with cut taters, to which we add chilli's and then melt cheese.

Because it's deer hunt, tradition says Seagrams VO with diet Coke to go with it.

That's what I know about sheep.

We usually kill 7 mutton for muzzy and rifle camps.
Mutton??

Some old timers, meaning the guys that were old 25 years ago and long dead now, claimed the massive herds of sheep, that came to the western States, in the last half of the 1900th century are what caused the mule deer population to explode. They also believed then the sheep operators switched to cattle, when the market for sheep went away, beginning in the 1950’s and has continued until now, the mule deer population declined at a corresponding rate as the number of sheep AUMs switched to cows.

They also believed a number of different issues related to sheep grazing were the reasons way. One big one was when they outlawed 1080 poison that the sheep men used liberally to control coyote, cougar and bear populations. They keep human shepherds with the sheep, they shot anything that threaded a lamb. The sheep ate the forbes and the browse down to the ground, from the bottom of the mountain to the top. Eating those plants to the ground, every year, kept mule deer habitat fresh, succulent, and full of high protein that super charged the does milk for their fawns. Thus, more fawn grew more body fat before in the fall, more fat to survive cold winters and late springs.

Where there those old times right?

I don’t know………… but their rational made sense to me. Wouldn’t you think someone, some where in, by some wildlife bureaucracy, through some research laboratory, in some University, somebody would have tested their theory by now.

After all these years, I don’t think anyone will………… what do you think?
I think 1080 had more to do with the the population of mule deer and pheasants than we all think…

The sheep ate the forbes and the browse down to the ground, from the bottom of the mountain to the top. Eating those plants to the ground, every year, kept mule deer habitat fresh, succulent, and full of high protein that super charged the does milk for their fawns. Thus, more fawn grew more body fat before in the fall, more fat to survive cold winters and late springs.
Maybe similar to how fire works over here on the coast. Maybe even less destructive than fire.

So……… how could they test its validity?

They could simulate a sheep herd environment on a unit or two and measure the effect on the mule deer population.

You’d think that wouldn’t be that much too ask………

Very similar I think. Add the predator control effectiveness and you change a lot of things in the environment.
I've been to a lot of environmental web sites where they cry about grazing and logging, but I've never been to one where they cry about illegal road building, loss of habitat, sucking trout and salmon creeks dry and stream pollution from illegal marijuana.

I've been to a lot of environmental web sites where they cry about grazing and logging, but I've never been to one where they cry about illegal road building, loss of habitat, sucking trout and salmon creeks dry and stream pollution from illegal marijuana.
Proves there more pot smokers and gummie yummers than there are critter getters.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom