F&G online chat today. New proposals.

I was going to participate but completely spaced it.

One of the new proposals, you can "mentor" a person that has never hunted (held a hunting license) in Idaho before, for 1 year before they take hunters ed. They only have to pay a $1.75 fee and the regular tag price.

Does anyone know if this includes archery hunting?

>I was going to participate but
>completely spaced it.
>
>One of the new proposals, you
>can "mentor" a person that
>has never hunted (held a
>hunting license) in Idaho before,
>for 1 year before they
>take hunters ed. They only
>have to pay a $1.75
>fee and the regular tag
>price.
>
>Does anyone know if this includes
>archery hunting?

I'm not sure, but I completely disagree with the proposal if your description is accurate.

The last thing I want is to have 75% of the idiots in the woods, that think they know what they are doing, to be teaching newcomers how to hunt.

I feel the same way, there are plenty of people who have gone through hunter's ed and still shouldn't be out hunting. Now, if this goes into effect, they will be allowed to take others out hunting. I don't know if that's such a good idea. Seems like it will open the door for a lot of people filling tags that aren't theirs.

I asked my dad what he thought and he wasn't sure just yet. He pointed out that no one in his generation ever took hunter's ed.

Since gun safety is a big part of hunter safety I'm not sure it's a great idea. Would't want the same guy that was using his rifle scope to glass TWSNOW during the deer season to "mentor" some new rednecks, would you?

I don't think this is a very good idea. Everyone should be required to take hunters education, and in most cases younger kids aren't mature enough. Being physically able to carry a gun doesn't mean you should be. If you want to take a kid hunting...have them tag along with you when you are and teach them a thing or two.

Seems like IDFG is always trying to change or add things, I wouldn't frown on keeping things the way they are most of the time. Don't think that change is what the public always wants. Maybe they do this to show the public they are doing stuff, idk.

It sounds like a good idea to me. Just because someone gets to try it for a year doesnt mean they will have bad ethics.

> It sounds like a good
>idea to me. Just because
>someone gets to try it
>for a year doesnt mean
>they will have bad ethics.
>

Hunter's ed should absolutely be mandatory in the state, even for old folks. It's not even difficult, is extremely cheap and doesn't take very long to complete anyway. You can never be schooled enough on gun safety. It's simply not worth having even one more person in the woods with a redneck as their mentor.

The proposal was passed by the ID legislature in 2011. IDF&G is simply implementing what the ID legislature has told them to do.

"Hunter's ed should absolutely be mandatory in the state, even for old folks. It's not even difficult, is extremely cheap and doesn't take very long to complete anyway. You can never be schooled enough on gun safety. It's simply not worth having even one more person in the woods with a redneck as their mentor."

The completion of a hunter ed course does not guarantee that someone will be safe. It only means that they have been given the knowledge of how they are expected to handle themselves while hunting or handling guns. You will never get rid of all the idiots even after they take hunters ed. If this can help more people open their eyes to what hunting is all about and why we all love to do it then im all for it. If they decide they like it then they can take the class.

Of course it doesn't guarantee anything, but it is supposed to help and if it only instills gun safety in 1 out of 10 hunters that take the class, then it worked. That's 1 less idiot in the woods, and I'll take that any day.

People can already see what it's all about, I love tagging along on hunts even when I don't have a tag. You still get 99% of the experience, it shouldn't all just be about pulling the trigger anyway, IMO.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom