Face Paint or Camo Mask?

bigbull1

Very Active Member
What is your preference for deer and/or elk. Last year in New Mexico at a drop camp, some guys painted up everyday and others to include me wore a mask. I have heard of a hunter losing a huge muley as he was wearing an mask with eye holes and the mask shifted blocking his vision going to full draw. Is the paint a pain to get off and does it get all over your clothes, etc?

Ed
4a283fa85742e488.jpg

www.huntpacks.com

I don't like a mask. I don't shoot as well with one because it's hard to keep a consistent anchor. You can't feel as well. It's also one less thing to mess with. Sometimes I'll paint up but that can be a mess when it's hot and you are sweating. Most of the time I try to hide behind brush or something to block the animal's view. If you are still and don't move while they ae looking your direction you will be fine. Draw when they move behind a tree or something. Ideally by the time the critter sees me it's too late, he's already bleeding. But if you feel like paint gives you an edge, by all means wear it. It can't hurt. They makes stuff that wipes off easily. When I do wear it I just turn my shirt inside out at the end of the day and wipe off with a little water.

Last year was the first in a while that I painted up. I shoot with a kisser button, and when I wear a mask, it gets in the way. From now on, it's either paint or nothing.

Paint...but seriously you don't need to cover your entire face lol, it'll be a lot easier to clean off at night too!!

~Z~

Whenever we feel the need to be super hardcore archers, we use the camo face tape. Kinda like a camo sticker that is cut into pieces that fit your nose, cheeks, ect... Then you just peel them off at night.

}}-SLIVER-->

Face masks/nets have always gotten in the way for me and gotten hot too.
Usually, I find the nearest creek bed and spread a little mud on my face and neck (don't worry, I'm 100% sure it'd mud!!) It's free and there's no short supply of it. Also, if you can find an abandoned ant hill, that "mud" has a natural insect repellant. Just make sure it's abandoned!

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I tend to use face nets more than I do face paint. Never had a problem with them. I do use paint from time to time but dislike the mess and the sweating. One thing to keep in mind while using face paint is to be sure and paint the parts of the face that will cause the most glare. i.e. forehead, cheek bones, chin, nose......the rest can be slightly painted for effect and to blend but is not a must to get too carried away with the paint in those areas. This is how we were also taught in the military to use face paint to maximize its effect.

Jared "J-Rod" Bloomgren

www.myspace.com/jaredbloomgren
http://www.camospace.com/Bloomgren

"Getting close to game undetected and maintaining self control while delivering a well placed shot are the true keys to bowhunting success." -M.R.James

>Face masks/nets have always gotten in
>the way for me and
>gotten hot too.
>Usually, I find the nearest creek
>bed and spread a little
>mud on my face and
>neck (don't worry, I'm 100%
>sure it'd mud!!) It's free
>and there's no short supply
>of it. Also, if you
>can find an abandoned ant
>hill, that "mud" has a
>natural insect repellant. Just make
>sure it's abandoned!

Wow that is hardcore! very cool! I use a net sometimes or nothing. I haven't had a problem with the net getting in the way.

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough. -John Wayne

I'll go with the mask. Nv archery cow hunt, first the bees show up at daybreak then the flies move in. The mask was a godsend.

Ray

I use spandoflage....it's a mask, but tight to your face so I can feel my anchor point. It also allows airflow which is huge in early season hunting.

BOHNTR )))---------->

primos 3/4 mask.
stretchy and won't obstruct view.
I lost lots of turkeys to face masks.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands

Usually before a stalk; but there's nothing wrong with the first thing in the morning, as long as you don't sweat/rub it all off.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Face paint - it is a morning ritual. I carry some moist towelettes in the truck to wipe it off before heading back to civilization.

>Face paint - it is a
>morning ritual. I carry
>some moist towelettes in the
>truck to wipe it off
>before heading back to civilization.
>

+1 been doing it since my dad started taking me out at 6 years old. Now passing it on to my boy and used it on recon missions while deployed - helps get your head in the game.

Ryan
www.KeyToTheKaibab.com

I personally dont use either, I think if Im close enough to a deer that my face is going to give me away I better be behind a bush or otherwise hidden from him. I honestly dont see it making a difference. Maybe on turkeys.

>I use spandoflage....it's a mask, but
>tight to your face so
>I can feel my anchor
>point. It also allows
>airflow which is huge in
>early season hunting.
>
>BOHNTR )))---------->

That is what I use too. They are tight enough that my anchor in unaffected. I have a few of them as they are very affordable.

Nice timing on this post. I usually wear a mask & this morning for some reason I started thinking about other options to camo my face with. Hoped on MM & look what I find! Thanks for the advice on the spandoflauge...Im picking one of those up

>Nice timing on this post. I
>usually wear a mask &
>this morning for some reason
>I started thinking about other
>options to camo my face
>with. Hoped on MM &
>look what I find! Thanks
>for the advice on the
>spandoflauge...Im picking one of those
>up

I have found them at both, Sporstmans Warehouse and Wal Mart.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom