factory loads and long range

utarchery

whats everyones expierence with factory loads and long range shooting? how reliable are they? gun builders claim they are grouping at 1000yds with HSM Berger's, can anyone confirm?

The basic requirements for precise ammunition are consistent neck tension, minimal runout, consistent seating depth and low extreme velocity spread. If the HSM ammo can achieve these things, no reason it shouldn't be accurate at long range.

NRA Life Member

Leftys are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

Agree With Sambo3600!
Consistency of several factors is what's important. I've handloaded Bergers and accuracy is good at my personal limit of 500 yrds.

One of the down sides to using factory ammo for long range "shooting" or hunting, is the cost of the ammo. To truly be good at the game, IMO, hours and hours, many days at the range are just a start. After hundreds if not thousands of rounds sent downrange, the cost of that shooting must be felt in the wallet by even those that can afford to do so.

Long range shooting is one thing, long range hunting is another, and plenty of time behind the rifle, lots of rounds sent down range, should be a self enforced requirement.

As a general rule that we used to go by, good hand loads were about half the price of factory stuff and the better loads shot more accurate than factory stuff when tuned to a particular rifle.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Hsm ammo is pretty good for factory ammo. The problem is that hand loaded ammo can be custom loaded to your specific rifle. Seating depth is important for accuracy. If your rifle shoots hsm accurately then by all means go for it!

HSM is made down the road from my house. I know several people that have worked there over the years. I won't buy it. You can't expect to feed factory ammo to every rifle and get great results at long yardages. Some things are misleading at best. mtmuley

If you're getting tight groups with a high BC bullet of sufficient weight and speed you have a long range rife. it doesn't matter if the ammo came from walmart or your bench.

I handload because I like too and I can play with my loads, but I'm sure with todays factory ammo I wouldn't have to if I wanted to search for the right loading. I doubt very much I can handload a Nosler bullet anymore accurate than Nosler does.

Stay thirsty my friends

Factory ammo is better than it's ever been but......

It will never be as good as reloaded ammo done by a knowledgeable craftsman who will spend the time it takes to do it right and find what the gun likes best.

Case prep alone takes more time than the factory spends producing a case of ammo. Seating depth, tension, concentricity, weight etc are all the little variables that the reloader can control. That's just not possible with factory ammo. Period.

With that said, some guys should NEVER reload. They don't have the brains or personality for it. I've seen the best and the worst ammo as reloads!

Done right, factory cannot ever compete. Done wrong, reloading is just sloppy crap at best!

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom