Fairbanks Moose Hunt

elknut

We are doing a moose hunt out of Fairbanks fall 07 - would love to talk with some Utah hunters that have done this type of hunt recently - some questions about transporting meat / raft / etc..

Anyone hunt out of a 12' Zodiac with a 20 HP motor?

Send me a PM or [email protected]

Thanks

I did a DIY hunt in AK in 04. We floated for 100 river miles and killed two large moose.We drove all the way to Fairbanks from OR.We took all of our gear with us including a 16 ft river raft.We hired an air taxi service to fly us to the drop off point and to pick us up down river.It was about 275 miles north of FB.The main problem we had was after we killed the moose and had them loaded on the raft.The raft would drag bottom in the shallow stretches.We would have to get out and drag the boat to deeper water. The raft was not over loaded as far as capacity was concerned,the river was just low due to the cold temps.It never got over 40 degrees{this was early Sept.} during the whole trip. A motor would not have done us any good at all and if we would have been in a smaller boat we could not have brought out two moose.I think a 12' zodiac with two people and all your gear would be maxed out with one moose.Just some things to think about.If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm no expert but I have been on two DIY moose hunts in AK and I learned a few things . I would recommend that you get a book by Larry Bartlett called "Float Hunting Alaska" it has a wealth of info on the subject. Good Hunting,Whaletail

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-07 AT 10:59PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-07 AT 10:58?PM (MST)

Thanks Whaletail,

I have Larry's books and have talk with him on the phone (very nice guy). After some research we decided to book with Sportsman's Air (outfitted hunt) for a river drop. This is a draw permit area and should be a good hunt. The plan is to float about 20 miles in Pro P's and hunt deep rather than cover many river miles.

Can't wait, just picked up a "Pelican" gun case for the trip today.

Elknut

I am also going on a DIY in 2008. Whaletail, I would love to talk with you if your willing, and pick your brain. Any information you could give me would be very appreciated. My email is [email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom