Fake Velvet???

Hardway

Very Active Member
Has anyone ever stripped the natural velvet and had fake velvet put on your antlers?

http://www.velvet-antlers.com/

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I shot a caribou several years back, that was in velvet. I ended up losing the velvet. I took a pic of my caribou to my taxi when I got back home, to match to color and he sent the horns off to have them flocked. It was expensive, but well worth it. The overall mount looks great, and I have had nothing but compliments from other hunters!

Well, I've decided already that I'm not messin with chemicals and needles at 11k feet. Hopefully if I do get one I can get it out in time....if not it'll get flocked.....Should I at least cut slits in the horn tips and try to drain them? How long on average does a guy have to get them dealt with?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

It all depends on how much fluid is in the velvet and the temperature, but you have between 24 hours and 3 days. The more you touch it, the faster it goes bad.

Fake velvet is expensive, but done right it can look good. Stripping them and a splash of color looks good also.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

"Fake" Velvet, if done correctly, is the best alternative....No bug worries and it will last forever...injection will work, but as Packout suggests, it really depends on the amount of fluid still remaining in the antlers and the temperature.....Freeze dry is also another alternative, but can be expensive also...

Most velvet that is handled improperly (touched) in the field, will result in a very poor looking mount.....no matter what method of preservation you use....in most cases, the only viable solution is to have the "Fake" velvet applied...

Look under the thread "european velvet mount". I posted a few pictures of some I have done. In the picture of the three together the outer ones have fake velvet from Research Manikin. There are also some close-ups.

Bill

One of my deer mounts has fake velvet.I think it looks very good,and have had lots of compliments on it.The one drawback is that it looks too perfect.Doesn't have any of the little nicks and bare spots that natural velvet does.

>Can someone post a picture of
>a set of antlers with
>good looking fake velvet?
>I've never seen one, I'd
>like to.
>
>Colorado Lion Hunt:
>
>
>Mineshaft Lion Hunt:
>http://trophyroom.com/video/lls8ViwJcT
Here is a rack that was done at Research Mannikins. I did not do this mount and hope the taxidermist that did doesn't mind me sharing. The antlers came back to perfect so he distressed the antlers so they would look more natural.

artificialvelvet1.jpg

artificialvelvet2.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-11 AT 10:28PM (MST)[p]>How do you "distress" the velvet?
>

The velvet on this mount was distressed using a dremel tool with a nylon brush attachment. The areas that had some of the velvet removed were then painted with an airbrush to enhance the effect. Using reference pictures is critical to replicating a convincing product.

I had a buck done by research manakin.Turned out awesome. However, like others have said, they come back almost to perfect and mine had a light green hue to it. After some air brushing and a few more details you'd be hard pressed to tell real from fake. I'd have another one done in a second.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom