Fantasy photo tour...

dslaughter

My wife and I have just booked a photography tour this May to Khutzeymateen Valley in British Columbia to photograph grizzleys and black bears. I've wanted her to take up photography for a while now and she's very excited about the first trip. This got me to thinking. What are the most scenic/photographic places in North America? We live in Denver so I have a few places in mind but I'd like to get other folks' opinions on the most beautiful/interesting places in North America...
So far I have (in no particular order):
The Maroon Bells, the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone, Glacier Nat. Park, Canyon Lands Nat. Park, Grand Canyon, Yosemite and various parts of AK (that I plan on visiting).
Where would you guys go (and at what time of the year) and why?
thanks,
ds

I would say to spend a lot of time in Arizona. The Chiricahua National Monument is a neat place. Arizona has such diverse land and wildlife. Javelina are a unique little critter that are easily photographed, you might also run into the coati that inhabits southern Az. I lived there for 24 years and there are plenty of photo opps there. But now I'm in Montana and I think your choice of Glacier Park is a great choice. Montana has a magazine called Montana Outdoors that is an interesting read and may also give you more ideas.

Rifleguy,
thanks for the feedback. I've only been to AZ twice but I'm always impressed by the natural beauty of the place.
Montana is on my short list... :)

dlaughter
might want to make a trip to the colorado monument ovre by grand junction. very neat rock formations and canyons

I work as far west as Glenwood Springs a good bit. It would probably be worth the drive over after work some Friday...
thanks, Feleno!
ds

Bryce Canyon and Zion Natl. Park are the two I see missing from your list. If you go to Bryce, don't just stand on the rim. You have to go down and through it to really get the full experience.

David,

Big Bend National Park is something EVERYONE should
see. Guadalupe Mountains National Park is another.
Great Dessert country stuff. I LOVE that country.
A good friend of ours is going to hike some in the
Guad's this Oct.

I'm addicted to that country, I like it.

Larry

Banff and Jasper parks in Alberta are without compare IMO. Glacier and Denali are close seconds. 3rd to 4th wekk of September by far the best time of year to visit Jasper. Big bulls and whopper rams and mountains that are the most awe inspiring I have ever seen.

Only time to visit Denali is the 1st week of September. I've done it 3 times. The colors change so fast you can see a difference from day to day. They go from green to reds and oranges and then to brown in about 10 days or less.

Larry, I wish I had spent some time in that part of Texas when it was more convenient. Maybe some day I'll go back.
Buckspy, the areas you mentioned are probably going to be on the calendar for sometime in 2009. My folks have been through Jasper and Banff and loved it.
Thanks for all of the good information, everyone!

Gobbler,
Texas is on the bubble and being from Louisiana I can tell you that no one cares if it stays or not... Welcome to Monster Muleys.
ds

GobKnob,

I take offense to that question.
Though we've been attempting to get out
of North America for several years, it hasn't
happened for us yet. Six more months, and I'm told,
we're outta here.

I know it was tough earlier this month with all those
drunks tromping all over you just to see if a whistle pig
saw it's shadow.

He did 'til that .223 bullet hit'em.

fyi
lrv

Ds, if you want to seem some really nice country that hasn't been mentioned above, you need to take a ride on route # 2 in Western Washington in late July or August. Its not mountains but if you can imagine the song "America the Beautiful" and the phrase "Amber waves of Grain" its incredible the beauty of this two lane road as it weaves through wheat fields over rolling terrain from Grand Coulee Dam to Spokane. I agree the National Parks are also incredible to see but this route # 2 was just spectacular when we drove on it from Seattle on our way to Glacier National Park. We still talk about the beauty of that trip.

Take Care,

300 Wtby
Dave

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom