feeding dogs game meat

Aaronjhanson

hey any you guys feed your dogs game meet? wondering if I should be keeping the heart and liver to boil up and feed to the dog? or the super gamey meat goes to the dog as well.. just wondering

I feed my hounds game meat all the time. Lion, Bear, deer/elk scraps. They do very well on it as long as you substitute it with dog food.

Had a Great Dane years back and one day I was butchering up a deer and threw the mutt some trimmings. Next day I found her bloated up and dead in the dog house. Not taking my chances with my Golden on that one :)

Illegal in some states with the meat,organs sometimes contain extra things like liver flukes...

Liver flukes can be spotted in the liver, they are oval and look like a blood clot. But to be on the safe side if you really want to feed the liver, just cook it first.

You need to cook the meat. Worms can be in the organs, or in certain cuts of meat that can infect your dog. It is somewhat rare, but does happen.

Also work your dog up to eating it. Start with small amounts and add more over time. Due to the way dog food is made now your dog will not be used to such high protein. You will know when you gave them too much red meat cause they will get the runs for a couple of days. If you keep them on too high a proetein diet they can develop a bleeding intestinal tract and that will cause other problems, obviously.

Other then that I say go for it.

(All of this comes from experience, and my father in law who is a vet.)

I feed my dogs raw meat and scraps every day. They do very good on it. I also worm them once a month.

I clean out the freezer periodically, anything outdated or freezer burnt is cubed and boiled. I generally refreeze it and add the frozen chunks in with her regular dog food. Too much and she'll get the shitz...

One thing I have read is that dogs do not get the protein to make it worth it if you cook it. I do not know how true this is. The other thing is as mentioned above worming is necessary.

I add a little cooked game eat to my dogs normal (lamb and rice) dog food. Freeze in qt. sip-loc bags, meat scraps and poor cuts. Defrost, cut into 1" or smaller chunks (6-10) and cook. Adds to taste, dog loves. Dog does well. As with all feeding just be careful not to over feed.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-12 AT 04:58PM (MST)[p]
>One thing I have read is
>that dogs do not get
>the protein to make it
>worth it if you cook
>it. I do not
>know how true this is.
> The other thing is
>as mentioned above worming is
>necessary.

I am a veterinarian and I only recommend feeding cooked meat. The "raw meat" people will tell you that they don't get as much good from cooked meat, but if that were really true, I guess we should all eat raw meat.

Ever hear of someone getting really sick or dying from eating an undercooked hamburger? E-coli (fecal) or other contaminants can make dogs sick too.

Yes, wild "dogs" eat raw meat, but that meat is not processed. When you gut, handle, transport, and grind meat, there is always to possiblitiy of getting contamination

As far as worming your dog monthly, most monthly wormer does not kill worms that might be in raw meat or organs with the possible exception of tapeworms, but most monthly wormers don't kill tapes.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Sure, but all my family's dogs grew up on big game scraps and bones...seen other dogs get the runs (nothing lasting), as their digestive tracks aren't used to it

We also have a cat that is addicted to the blood poured off from freshly thawed cuts...also likes the little bit of trim from the final prep before cooking. Sometimes he lets it set up and dry out for a day or two, guess that's his way of making jerky ;)

I also process ALL my meat myself...I believe in maintaining complete control of my animals, from field to fare

In addition, we and many of our friends eat the meat raw fairly frequently (and besides stews or chile, never cook it beyond 'purple heart' rare)...elk sashimi, nigiri, or 'cooked' in lemon juice Phillipino style, never had any problems

Pretty damn tasty as well :)

Everyone of my dogs, from the lab to the weiner dog, get game meat. Rarely if ever cooked. They get all the sinue, left over trim, boned legs, and the rim cages. I store the meat in cool places and if to warm I will freeze what I can and have even sun dried the boned legs. We haven't had an issue with worms as we feed no internal organs or pounch containinated meat areas. Gut shot parts are disgarded. I have noticed each of my animals increase in body mass for the cold winter months and tend to fair better with the meat than just with dog food alone. Also a great way for them to pass their day by knawing on the bones.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Had to feed my dog ALL of a couple Nevada high country deer [archery] the meat stunk of sage so bad the ice cubes in my freezer started to taste funny.True story

my dog eats cat turds, cow turds, fresh dead rabbits, not fresh dead rabbits, dead squirrels, gophers, left overs, rotten furry meat from the fridge, things he finds that are unrecognizable......never a hiccup. What kind of dogs do you jokers have??

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>my dog eats cat turds, cow
>turds, fresh dead rabbits, not
>fresh dead rabbits, dead squirrels,
>gophers, left overs, rotten furry
>meat from the fridge, things
>he finds that are unrecognizable......never
>a hiccup. What kind of
>dogs do you jokers have??
>
>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

ha ha ha, that's some funny stuff right there, and it true they will eat anything....

>my dog eats cat turds, cow
>turds, fresh dead rabbits, not
>fresh dead rabbits, dead squirrels,
>gophers, left overs, rotten furry
>meat from the fridge, things
>he finds that are unrecognizable......never
>a hiccup. What kind of
>dogs do you jokers have??
>
>
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

+1

Then comes over to lick my face afterwords.

Yummy.

:)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom