FEILD JUDGING MT GOAT

why

LAST EDITED ON May-28-11 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]NEED HELP PLEASE ON PRINTABLE VERSION FOR GOAT .my brother drew after 15 year wait . i think i am good judge .but unable to be with him all the time because work .someone help on moose and elk last year. any help would be appritated. THANKS WHY

Kevin,
I will scan the two pages out of a book I have that was written by Todd Schwandt on what you are asking for here.
Then I will attach them to an email to you...so hope that your email under your profile is correct right now.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

What state/area are you hunting? If it's Colo there are only around 10 goats that have ever made B&C. If it's BC you may have a great chance of getting a booner. Are you looking for a mature billy, B&C, long hair, or nanny vs billy? Some units here in Colo the CDOW has offered so many tags that just harvesting a goat is quite an accomplishment. Obviously each unit, state, and country is a little different.

Just like any horned animal....MASS is the biggest factor in a mtn goat score. There are 8 mass measurements that make up the score and length adds only a low percentage to the total score. In Colo a 10" goat with decent mass is about as good as it gets while in BC a 10" goat w/mass may be a lot more common. You can imagine it takes pretty good optics to distinguish between a 9 1/2" monster and a smallish 8 1/2"er?

First step is trying to distinguish nannies from billies. Most guys can't tell the difference and it may take some time to figure this out. The more goats you look at the easier it will be to tell nannies from billies and a 2 1/2 year old billy from 5+ year old. Take lots of video and photos of goats and look at them in detail at home! The more time you are willing to research and scout the better prepared you will be. I've been watching and filming goats for years and there is no better place to be in the late summer/fall than the high alpine goat country!

LAST EDITED ON May-29-11 AT 09:32PM (MST)[p]the only way to really know how to judge a goat is to get out and look at all the ones on your unit and just find the one you deam the best. dont over look size and hair quality on your hunt. IMHO the horns are not the trophy and who really cares if one is a 1/4 inch better then the other.

If i were you id video every goat you see and look at them on the television to see which ones are the good ones then put one of your top three on the ground and you will have had a successful hunt IMHO.

goats are fun to hunt!

thanks for info guys the unit is unitahs east in utah .far as seeing goats .we have seen where elk hunt last 20 years . last year seen 47 goats less 100 yards . see them this close every year or any time we go scout for elk. in summer finding is not problem. or billies from nannies. just wanted somthing printable. for him to study if i am not there. thanks.eveyone

Just my two cents but I think the hide is more important than the horns. 8 1/2", 9", 9 1/2". on the way how many people can tell the difference? My goat from BC is only 8 7/8 but he was 13 years old and his hide was perfect. He is absolutely one of my favorite mounts. Ears full of warts, hooves worn down to nothing. We all see things differently but I am still ecstatic that I was able to take him even though he is not even 9".

Does anyone know of any videos out there with "how to" tips on judging mtn goats? I've never hunted goats before and am headed to BC in late Oct. I will be looking for age/body size more than score and horn length if at all possible on this hunt.
I've heard those odd solitary nannies can sure fool ya if you aren't careful.
Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

Looking forward to the hunt. Should be a good one.

------------------
DRSS

Little Joe I agree and I disagree. Before I hunted goats i didn't care about 1" or a 1/2". Now I look at goats and i can tell and appreciate the big ones--especially those over 9 1/2 or 10" with big bases. I'll flip a twinkie if one is 11 or bigger.

I also agree the hair is part of the trophy.

I recommend drawing the profile of a 9" horn and hanging it next to your desk. You will be able to tell what 9 inchs looks like after 3 months of looking at it every day. Another tip is to hold your hand out in front of you and spread your fingers as far apart as possible. A big billy goat will have a curved horn longer than the distance measured along the curve of your fingers (mine is 9"). A 6" base is about the size of making the "OK" sign with your thumb and pointer finger.

'Billies--Nannies'

Duncan Gilchrist.

I have it and it is a good DVD and covers scoring too.

I have had it a while so the number on the back may be outdated as Duncan has gone on to heaven.

406-961-4314

Robb

Kilowatt

Thanks for posting that goat pic. I also will be on my first goat hunt this year in colorado. I have been searching for a goat anatomy pic. now if you could find one for an ibex for my son's ibex hunt in NM that would be great:)!!!

Could you also email me those pages from your book that you mentioned above. I will send you a PM with my email adress. Because of some other hunts that we drew I won't be able to scout for my goat hunt so I am looking for as much info as I can get my hands on to prepare for this hunt. I have already reviewed the various GFP websites and downloaded their goat information.

Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom