FFG POWER,

ELKMASTER101

Very Active Member
Does anyone here shoot American Pioneer Powder?
Thinking about getting some Jim Shockey Gold.
Just looked at his web site, holy smokes,
jimmy must think his hunts are Gold themselves.
Got to say one thing about his show,
He's cool, Jim and Ted Newgent, they both tell it like it is
and if you don't like, well tough shi#.
I think i would like to try the powder.
No sulfer.

>Does anyone here shoot American Pioneer
>Powder?
> Thinking about getting some Jim
>Shockey Gold.
> Just looked at his web
>site, holy smokes,
> jimmy must think his hunts
>are Gold themselves.
>Got to say one thing about
>his show,
>He's cool, Jim and Ted Newgent,
>they both tell it like
>it is
>and if you don't like, well
>tough shi#.
>I think i would like to
>try the powder.
> No sulfer.

Did you see the episode on TV where he was chasing the world record bull up above Ogden Ut a few years ago? It was a monster in full velvet.

LOL found it & stalked within 45 yards then, making sure the camera was in perfect position, he shot and missed... clean stupid miss right there on the camera, pretty funny. Mr hot shot ML hero hunter and he airballs one at archery distance. He found it and killed it the next day but sadly from the previous day it had torn up its velvet pretty good.

Good funny episode showing even the immortals among us screw up royally sometimes. Still he ended up with the bull in the end and stated it was the pending world ML record.

-DallanC

Ya, pow right over his back.
Been there done that,
would love to go on a bear hunt,
but his prices "holy buckets"
Going to hit des moines this week end and pick up some of his recomended power, AND CHECK IT OUT.

well, I found some gold.
not much, Just a pound.
going to shoot it to night.
try pushing out 295 gr powerbelts
the green tiped ones.
should i set it for 3" high at 100?
any one else shoot it, is it like 777 a little faster burning then pyrodex?
my gun is a 150 grain mag.
should i start off with something in the ---what grain range?
anyone have any stats on the stuff?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-06 AT 12:27PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-06 AT 09:42?AM (MST)

"Some" - not all APP/Shockey/Goex Pinnacle (all close relatives) users have complained about accuracy & bullet speeds using heavier bullets than 300 gr -- . These three powders above appear to be overall energy-weaker than Pyrodex.... but a thousand times cleaner/less corrosive. You should be fine at 100 yards with a majority of 180-300 gr sabot/bullets. Just read the jug wordings slowly about adding stuff to the bore walls.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

Triplese7en.
ya wonder what they mean?
i typ. shoot loubed buf. bullets.
think there might be a problen with the patrolulm reacting to the power?
also they worn about leaving in your flask?
heck i have left mine in for a year.
they brage about shooting a 1000 times and no cleaning.
but say on the jug. you should shoot out your shell every time you go out.
Why?

I am on my second bottle of the gold 3f and have shot 2 bottles of the reg APP. I am of the opinion APP and BM3 are not very stable. When the bottle is first opened they shoot very well. The bottom half does not. I am very careful about how I handle them - store in my basement, don't leave in a hot auto. Cleanup is nice but I'm going back to pyrodex - its always been consistent thru a bottle for me.

I played around with the stuff for a pound and a half and finally gave up! I went back to 777 which I think is great. The APP is great to clean up but thats it. I wasted so much money on all different bullets in my .50 cal black diamond with no luck. I tested between 110-140gr. of powder, Boo! Mabye the stuff works on lighter loads, but whats the point, I am looking for fast loads. Oh well back to the 777 or RS Now this stuff works GREAT in my rifle. Just killed a 15" Antelope yesterday with this gun.

Koyote

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-06 AT 09:50PM (MST)[p]Yep Elkmaster... the lube interacting with the powder fouling may generate more moisture inside your bore. Sometimes the water in there will stream out of the bore when pointing the muzzle downward after sitting for a morning hunt.

If you live in a dry climate & use sabots 300 gr or less, it should be fine for an extended period. Buy the FFF & don't pour the leftover range powder back in the original jug. Get a 2nd jug for that - then keep adding to it as the range/hunting visits multiply. Use the leftover powder when the rest is gone.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom