Field Judging Moose

I have a Moose tag for this year. I am very familiar with deer and elk and antelope but of course I am not so much (Once in a Lifetime Hunt in Utah) familiar with how to field judge Moose.

What is the things I should look for when looking at a big moose. I know what a big moose looks like but what is it that are the big things I should be looking for. Split brow tines, Palm width, number of points coming off the palm and how long they are. Anything else I am missing?

Thanks for the help friends

**Nimrod Outdoors**
www.beanimrod.com

LAST EDITED ON May-23-18 AT 03:25PM (MST)[p]You've pretty much got it. Point length doesn't mean much, only insofar as they are a measureable points that can count. You want forking brows, as the palm length measurement begins in between points there, if there is only one point it begins at the bottom of the main palm. Long palms have forking brows and end at the top of the palm. 30-35" plus would be getting into the B&C class. Palms are measured at their widest point, so you want wide palms, not long points, say 12" wide. Figure about 10 points per side, and greatest spread 40"+. Circumference of bases don't add alot, but 6"+ plus is what you want.

So the bull created above at minimum scores:
Palm length: 60"
Palm width: 24"
Circumferences: 12"
Spread: 40"
Gross: 156"

Others may have figures that compare body features to horn measurements for estimation. Do us a favor and report back on your experience, for those of us moose hunters who never hunt moose.

Good luck!

not sure about Shiras but a mature Canadian bull will have a short, thick bell, while a young one's bell will be long and skinny.

I have been doing a lot of research on the subject to bro! One of the days your down this way when your scouting let me know and we will go and find some and try to field judge them! Most my research has shown that if the fronts dont split its very unlikely that it will make book. Also tine length is not important just the number of tines.

I shot a very respectable 8.5 year old 43" wide Wyoming bull many years ago. It had a two foot waddle. (bell) I also saw several other mature bulls dragging big "neck flaps". So don't judge a shiras moose by his beard!
My bull also had wide long palms but he only had dagger brow points. So if you are talking "book" trophies, mine fell short. But for me he was the best looking trophy I saw in many days of scouting and hunting, so I was happy to make him mine.

With the decline in moose in the last decade, the sad reality is, it is very unlikely you will see a "book" bull or even one that's close. My advice would be to look for something mature with palm width and length and if he has split brow points that's even better. But don't get too hung up on score because these days any mature bull is worth a second look.

Have fun and best of luck!

How many more posts can we expect to see from you on your social media accounts that state ?I drew a moose tag...?? Just curious.

>How many more posts can we
>expect to see from you
>on your social media accounts
>that state ?I drew a
>moose tag...?? Just curious.

I take it you didn't draw a moose tag?

#livelikezac

LAST EDITED ON May-24-18 AT 00:58AM (MST)[p]>Sorry, just a little excited. Lol

You should be excited. That's awesome.

Small tine points are usually good because they indicate good palmation. You'll want forked brow tines for sure and if the inside spread is beyond the ears, he's likely a good bull.

Here's my wife's bull on-the-hoof. Easy shooter in just about anybody's eyes, made official B&C too.

1186920150721200457.jpg

Grizzly

Moose are scored a little funny in my opinion. I've seen bulls that make book that are far less impressive than bulls that won't make book. I wouldn't get hung up on whether it's going to make book or not but find one you like the looks of. I personally like wide paddles and a laid out wide spread but a bull with long paddles will score better even if they're skinny.

>Thanks Grizzly, That is for sure
>one good looking bull. Congrats
>to you wife on her
>bull. What year was it
>and what unit did it
>come off of? Do you
>have any other pics of
>him?
>
>
>**Nimrod Outdoors**
> www.beanimrod.com

It was Southeast Idaho from few years ago.

76325img3190.jpg

Grizzly

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom