Fire Closure in Unit 38 and 39

Iowan

North of US Highway 14A seems like a huge part of these hunt areas. I have the Type 9 for Unit 39 and was planning to hunt September 16-30. The fire appears to be completely Unit 38. If anyone has a graphic showing the area closed I would appreciate it. I did notice it is only in Sheridan County which does not impact Unit 39 as much - big impact on Unit 38 from what I can tell. Probably will drive all the elk from 38 into 39 :)

FROM GAME AND FISH

Greetings elk and moose hunters:

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department wants to alert you of a fire-related closure that impacts access to a portion of Elk Hunt Areas 38 and 39, and Moose Hunt Area 1.

The Crater Ridge fire has been burning in the Bighorn National Forest since July 17. The U.S. Forest Service has instituted a public closure area north of U.S. Highway 14A in Sheridan County to protect public and firefighter safety, and facilitate movement of equipment and other resources for fire suppression.

At this time, the current public closure area does not meet the criteria to offer hunting license refunds or carryover licenses (Commission Regulation Chapter 44, Sections 23(a) and 26(d)). If that changes, Game and Fish will notify you.

The U.S. Forest Service provides maps and daily updates on the fire that can be accessed here.

Much of northeast Wyoming is experiencing drought conditions, with fire bans in effect in several counties. Please contact local counties and/or the land management agency where you intend to hunt to get information on current fire restrictions. View current fire restrictions on Game and Fish-owned or administered lands.

For questions related to hunting, please contact the Sheridan Region Office at (307) 672-7418 or the Cody Region Office at (307) 527-7125.

For questions related to your hunting license, please call the Game and Fish: (307) 777-4600.

Respectfully,

Jennifer Doering

Will also drive hunters all into the same area or push the elk onto bichoffs land. I know the fire took a bad turn before we got all this rain. The wind wasnt good before the rain hit. I believe it just burnt 2 forest service buildings down if i heard the radio report right

At this time, the current public closure area does not meet the criteria to offer hunting license refunds or carryover licenses (Commission Regulation Chapter 44, Sections 23(a) and 26(d)). If that changes, Game and Fish will notify you.

The U.S. Forest Service provides maps and daily updates on the fire that can be accessed here.

Much of northeast Wyoming is experiencing drought conditions, with fire bans in effect in several counties. Please contact local counties and/or the land management agency where you intend to hunt to get information on current fire restrictions. View current fire restrictions on Game and Fish-owned or administered lands.

For questions related to hunting, please contact the Sheridan Region Office at (307) 672-7418 or the Cody Region Office at (307) 527-7125.

For questions related to your hunting license, please call the Game and Fish: (307) 777-4600.

Respectfully,

Jennifer Doering
Here's a link to the closure map. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd932370.pdf

The vast majority of the closure is elk area 38. I have a rifle tag for that area. The closure is a significant chunk of the elk area. Hoping by mid Oct, things will open up. If I had a archery tag, I'd be more concerned, since season opens in a little over a week.

Looks like they still have a fire but they have reduced the closure area by about half. Click on the InciWeb link that WapitiBob posted to see a map of the new closure area.

I have a 38 rifle tag also but I will be hunting on a private ranch. So far the fire isn't very close to where I will be. They seem to think the fire won't be out until they get significant snow. Very little rain forecast in the next 15 days.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom