First Aid kits

400bull

Very Active Member
In all my years of hunting I cannot remember a time were I have taken anything more then a couple bandages and maybe some mole skin for a first aid kit. Why I have not ever taken one floors me as we have had at least two occasions where a hunting partner needed to be transported to the local hospital for stitches. I'm going to change that this year and start crying a first aid kit(both personal and vehicle). So what do you guys have tucked away in your First Aid kits?

400bull

400bull: When thinking first aid supplies I think everyone thinks bandaids and small bandages. When archery or rifle hunting away from help like backpacking into the backcountry. We always try and be prepared for the major injury. We include about 10 6X6in. gauze pads that can be cut up into any size, 10 2X2in. gauze pads, cloth tape, 1 roll 2" ace bandage, eye wash, 1 arm sling, 1 large package "Quick Clot" used to stop major bleeding, tourniquit, sprins, advil, and an emergency ACR "PLB" personal locator beacon that sents an emergency distress signal including GPS location directly to the satillites. The PLB's are pricy but worth every penny in a real life threatening emergency. Check them out at ACR.com

Also best to take a first aid class/cpr and know the basic's on how to use the first aid supplies.

))))-------->

I keep mine small and simple that way it's always in my pack..

My First aid kit and my "survival" kit are combined into a quart sized ziplock and contain the following:

Gauze
Electrical tape
Steri-strips
Ibuprofen
-----
Fire starters
Lighter
Matches
20' para cord

This all fits into about 3/4 of a Quart sized ziplock..I would like to sometime add a small bag of quickclot to my kit

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Snort must be getting weak. He used to pack nothing more than a cyanide capsule with a note that said, 'in case of emergency, bite down.'

My fanny pack has quite a few "emergency" things.

Speaking first-aid only: needle & thread, gauze, tape, band-aids, anti-biotic, contact-lens equipment, mole skin, ibuprofin & some misc.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I added one item last year after butterfly bandaids didn't keep a cut closed. I put in Super Glue. It won't help on any major cuts but it does the trik say if your slice your finger etc...

After having a treble hook removed from my neck tendon using lidocaine and a scalpel I had a buddy fix up a little first aid kit with lidocaine, hypodermic needle, sterile disposable suture kits, antiseptic and bandages. Threw in a few burn packets from the shop. Still waiting for a major bleeding injury so I can practice on one of my buddies.

I tend to view my first aid kit as a back up kit and emergency kit as much as anything.

I take all the afore mentioned stuff plus
1. benadryl--for allergic reactions. You might not have allergies but a hunting companion will get stung and it might be the difference.
2. Duck tape, I don't take a whole roll, but wrap a bunch around a pen--useful for so many things including big wounds and making a tournecut or sling.
3. An emergency blanket
4. both a lighter & matches
5. a back up buckle for my pack belt. I don't want to haul 100 lbs out on my shoulders.
6. some water purification tablets.
7. Extra batteries
8. Hand warmers
9. a medical stapler--instead of stitches.
10. Neosporin

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom