First Big Game Animal

Wiszard

Long Time Member
After 12 years my son, Canyon, was finally legal to hunt with my and my Dad. This is his first big game animal. He is hooked!

This goat was killed on the way back to the truck on opening day of deer season. We saw no deer so I thought it would be a good idea to get down in the flats to see if we could spot some goats. I looked over a rise and to my surprise there was a buck not 100 yards walking away from us just to the right of where we were. I backed off the rise and got my son ready to get up there. My Dad and I gave some last minute advice and we all crept up there together. Unfortunately, he was nowhere to be seen. He winded us? Not sure. Just then my son says there he is as he's looking to his right. Sure enough, he comes trotting from right to left. I get Canyon set up on the bipod on the prone position. The goat keeps trotting and I'm telling Canyon that when/if he stops you have to be ready. My son keeps shifting his position as the buck continues to move to the left. He really did a good job staying in position for a good shot. He stopped once but only for a second or two...not long enough for my son to put the crosshairs where they needed to be. Another 60 yards or so later, the buck stops again and he's broadside looking at us. Now, he's about 250 or so. My son squeezes the trigger and we hear the WHOP!! The buck turns and runs but starts to slow down. I know he's hit good and he's sick. Figured he hit him a little far back. I asked Canyon where the crosshairs were when he fired and he said they were right behind the shoulder....BUT "I was shaking a little", he says. LOL I'll bet he was shaking! We watch the buck and he lays down. After 10 minutes or so, his head is down and we see no more movement from him. We get to about 50 yards from him and he goes to get up. He takes a few steps and my Dad shoulders his gun and puts a shot in the bucks neck. Down goes Frazier!! We made sure Canyon knew that this was his buck even though Grampa finished him off. While I field dressed him, the buck had been gut shot. I'm sure if we'd have left him longer he would have expired. I was a happy Dad and my Dad was a happy Grampa. Look at the smile on that kid. He was a trooper through the snow, rain and cold. I love that kid!

8027canyons_goat.jpg

Steve

Too many tags= unhappy wife

Good first antelope Steve. Antelope hunting is a good big game hunt to start the kids with. My daughter has shot 2 and is only 14 years old. He will always remember that hunt with his dad and grandpa.

Good job.

Pat him on the back for us. Something that he will remember for the rest of his life with his father and grandfather sharing it with him.

RELH

Nice Job Canyon!

But Wisz!

Enough of the opening day Tag Punchin!

You need to take your Time!

And be gone for a while!:D

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Thanks for the nice comments, guys.

BESS- I was gone for 8 days. I guess your Enzyte took a little too long to kick in!

Too many tags= unhappy wife

I know how long you were gone!

Only 8 days!:D

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Way to go guys! It looks cold!

Wisz, Too many tags= unhappy wife

It's been my experience, only one of us is going to be happy anyway, so it might as well be me!:)

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom