FIRST ELK!

C

cauch

Well here is my first elk! shot him at 2.5 to 3 yards. went 40 yards and tipped!
5860first_elk.jpg

29first_elk2.jpg

Wow!!! Now that's close.

Post up the whole story if you get some time.

Cheers,
Pete

Is that a LongBow?
Nice Bull!
At that range you shoulda just stabbed him!:D

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

at that range he's lucky he didn't get stabbed then bred by a rut crazed bull. major congrats nothing like getting close!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

There are no big bucks in Utah! LOL

That must have been a RUSH. I would have taken that thing with that gear on any unit. Congradulations!

That bull at 3 yards? I think i would have keeled right over. Before a shot. Holy cow.

Congrats!!!

Kudos to you mi amigo!!! You are a true BOWHUNTER! With a longbow no less....WOW! Great looking bull with any weapon...but a 3 yd shot with a longbow....way cool!!! Congrats for hanging tough and keeping your cool on that one!!!!

I shoot a bow made by Thunderhorn Archery. I shot him with a general tag in western Montana.

My elk hunt this year first started when my buddy tyler killed a nice 5x6 bull. He was nice enough to point me in the right direction. The first day I went out by myself and didnt have much luck until 3:00pm when I called in my first bull of the season. A 6x7 that would have went around 350.... came to three yards also but came directly at me til he was just to close and finally took off. The next day didnt produce anything but bulls bugling in the distance.
On day 3 tyler came with me to do some calling. It was a terrible morning with the wind swirling in every direction. We finally started hearing some bulls around 9:30. We watched a big 6x6 chase some cows about 3/4 of a mile away when a bull started bugling just over the ridge. We took of and cow called until we got into a good setup area. About 5 minutes after we got set up this second bull started bugling and working to us at a pretty fast pace. As he came into view I made sure I was going to be set up for a shot. His head went behind a tree and I came to 3/4 draw, he walked passed the tree, glanced at me then continued to head toward the cow calls. The second he turned his head a finished drawing and let her rip. Perfect double lung (how could i have missed at 3 yards). He went 40 yards and I saw antlers through the trees, swaying then tumbled to the ground.

Thats the end of the story!
Thanks to tyler (dont know if he has a screen name on here) and Dale (MTMULEY) for helping me get him out! Couldnt have done it without them!

I love taking people for the first time and getting bulls two or three feet away from them. That is what makes elk hunting so fun! Never gets old being close enough to touch a bull thats pissed off. What kind of long bow? I shoot a three rivers. Great job!!!

Hey Chris, The pics turned out great. I'll call you with my email so you can send them to me. I'm gonna get me one of them stick flingers. Next year I'll actually hunt, not just call and pack meat. Congrats again, I'll be talking to ya. mtmuley

Awesome bull, congrats. That is something very special. Is it your first traditional kill? If so, welcome to the traditional brotherhood. Once again, congrats.

No its not my first traditional kill. I have about 30 Whitetails, 3 Mule Deer, 10 Antelope, 3 Black Bears, 3 Coyotes and now 1 Elk. Plus alot of smaller game.

Great Bull!

I have yet to kill with my Bighorn Recurve and I can only
imagine how you must feel! Don't see many posts on traditional archery on MM. I got into this because of the simple nature and the
lack of gadgets needed to get started. It seemed my compound bows gathered accessories all the time and I love the light carry
weight of a traditional bow.

question: what is the minimum draw weight you would hunt elk
with? I limit my shots to 30 Yds.,but still practice to 45 yds
in case I get a chance to shoot a second arrow. The posts I read that talk of 50-80 yard shots with modern bows make me wonder if I am handycapping my self too much.

My best hunting buddy is a recurve guy from Vermont. He took an awesome 330 in. bull in an OTC unit in Colorado in 2007. We bow hunted the same drainage in 2005 and he shot a cow off of a tree stand on a water hole on Day 2. I had my encounters but never got a shot.
This year we are hunting wyoming with Gen. tags and my friends sons are going on there first western hunts. I will have good company and we hope to fill our "any elk" tags. Like your pals that helped you get your bull out it will be good to have 2 young guys along if/when we put one down. Everyone has a packout
story and we hope to make some memories!
Once again congradulations on a fine Bull!
Scott

My bow is set up at 58 pounds on a 28 inch draw. I have a 29 inch draw so im pulling aroud 61 pounds.
I personally dont shoot at whitetails if they are over 20 yards. With the slower arrow speed anything farther can jump the string and you can end up with a wounded animal. I shot my antelope this year at 22, 12, and 27 yards and in the video on 2 of them you can see how much they can move in a short amount of time. I practice regularly at 30 yards and closer but enjoy shooting 40-60 yards at the target but not consistent enough for that kind of shot on anything but a target. My person best kill was at 63 yards on a prairie dog with my longbow. Dont know if I could ever do it again!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom