First successful Archery Hunt!

scopenstalk

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-09 AT 09:00PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-09 AT 04:47 PM (MST)

My first ever archery tag filled happened yesterday!

Me and my dad went out to hunt elk for the week at one of our favorite spots. In the past we have done calling and some stalking but this year i wanted to try hunting from tree stands. We put them over water. Because of how hot it always is during the Utah archery season I figured this was our best bet. Well we put the stand i was going to hunt up about a mile down in this canyon. we put it in this spot we Nicknamed " The Palace". It got its name because there are 4 wallows all right next to each other with a creek running below them with lots of tall green grass that the elk love to chew on. There were rubs everywhere down there! So yesterday was our first day hunting, I woke up and went down and got in my stand and right as i was hauling my bow and pack up a cow and a calf walked by and saw the movement and busted. needless to say i was ticked! I sat there the rest of the morning and saw nothing. i hiked out and waited for the evening hunt. we spent the afternoon shoot in the breeze and my dad said to me you know it doesn't have to be today but sometime during the week we really need to get an elk. I thought yeah we do but i didn't think it would happen as soon as it did! I went back to my stand and got up and hadn't been sitting 5 minutes when about 80 yards away i saw 5 cow elk walking towards the wallows. Then I heard tons of calling and watched as elk after elk filed by ,about 25 elk came in, and I even saw a spike in with em! They fed up and started drinking right in front of me the spike fed up and went broadside at 20 yards, I drew and settled the pin and let the G5 striker fly. It hit Home! a double lung shot he went 100 yards and was down. I couldn't believe after 15 minutes of being in my stand i had already filled my archery elk tag and it was my first archery kill ever! I was so stoked I couldn't believe it. I was even more excited that all my practice with my bow paid off and I hit him perfectly! I radioed my dad he came and we field dressed and packed the spike out. The Perfect Elk hunting day! A day me and my dad will never forget!
4a8b2c223194aa82.jpg

Congrats man treestands seem to work really good this year I got my first bull out of a treestand this year too!

That's awesome right there.......some GOOD meals to come with that bull. Congratulations.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Way to go! Now you will be hooked! I love sitting for elk! It is a rush having all those animals under neath you! Great shot too!!

Congrats on your first archery animal, an elk is a great start!

Looks like you and your dad are doing lots of skinning and packing so far this year :)

"Now we come to the most important pre-season question. Do you just want to go elk hunting, or do you want to bring one back? If you desire the latter, there is no substitute for hard work. The bigger your goal, the harder the work required to get there. Good luck!" - Cameron R. Hanes

Dang now I'm excited to try my treestand for elk this year too. First time trying it over a pond I found last year. Congrats on your first archery kill, you won't want to hunt any other way now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom