First Timer... What gear do I need?

MichaelJ

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-06 AT 12:43PM (MST)[p]Hello guys, as I prepare this next month for my upcoming first archery deer season, (already been shooting a lot)I'm wordering if my hunting gear which I usually use on the General Oct. Rifle hunt will change? This will be my first year archery hunting, and I'm planning to be camping 4-5 miles from the truck, and hunting right out of camp. Any tips for a first time archery hunter? Any recommended reading? I'm getting PSYCHED for this hunt and can't wait to get out there and chase some bucks!

Michael

"What I could do, I was doing, and that was simply putting my butt on the line for my country, the country that I loved, so that all the protestors and the academics and the liberal intelligentsia back home could enjoy the right to protest against people like me, the hated middleclass." --Gary R. Smith, US Special Forces

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-06 AT 08:56AM (MST)[p]Here's a tip -- pack a bow repair kit, with appropriate allen wrenches, fletch cement, extra nocks, extra broadheads, string wax, rubber tubing for your peep site (if you use one), broadhead wrench, plenty of arrows (personal preference), index your sight (meaning put some marks with a knife on the bracket showing where the sight sits in it's brackets (I have seen guys get to camp and start messig with stuff and screw themselves up), plenty of scent eliminator, light raingear, i carry serving material, an extra bowstring (again stuff can happen -- a friend once accidently partially cut his bowstring w a broadhead)

Anyway -- by no means a total list -- but maybe it will help you w a few ideas.

mre beef with mushrooms and yellow rice my personal favorite

good rain gear and rubber boots (I never leave home without it especially on the west side)

a sense of humor will fix anything else.

Thanks for the tips guys, rain gear is a must that will be put on my list... As well as the allenwrench multitool thingamajig that my dad has...

A sense of humor is real important... lol making memories is what it's all about right?

"What I could do, I was doing, and that was simply putting my butt on the line for my country, the country that I loved, so that all the protestors and the academics and the liberal intelligentsia back home could enjoy the right to protest against people like me, the hated middleclass." --Gary R. Smith, US Special Forces

MJ- Just want to commend you and thankyou for all the sacrafice and efforts you have made for us!

*As far as bow-hunting goes, I think you already have the most important attribute taken care of and that is the genuine passion for bowhunting, outdoors, and the intimate (only word i could think of a this time) experiences we come across out in the woods that only certain people appreciate to the fullest. Now other than that, dont let up on the practice and try to study the area you are going in to. These are just the basics but with all the experience and know-how all these other guys herehave, you will be able to learn a lot from them. -C

I would have to say that you need to have a first aid kit, energy bars, lots of water, and something for checking the wind while hunting. Throw in some rope and twine along with some duct tape and you can handle anything.good luck.
a3dhunter

" lots of water" Don't skimp here!

Make sure your footwear fits and is broken in. Extra clothes and extra extra socks. You should have some cordage anyway: Make sure you can air out and dry your clothes. Mole skin/ducttape in the first aid kit (keep it on you, not in camp). I'm not sure where or what your hunting, but make sure you have enough calories to keep you going. Enjoy it. Its a great time of year to be hunting (but then when isn't!?), and you will find it much more peaceful than you probably have the rifle hunts.

I always carry flagging tape. I mark where my blind is, I hunt off a ground blind. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find a blind at 4:30 in the morning even with a headlamp. It works good for marking blood also. A headlamp is a sweet hands free tool too for heading out early.
MS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom