First try

Thunderclapper

1434dsc01457.jpg

First try at the photo upload. Montana sheep hunt from last fall.

4dsc01435.jpg

This was a backpack hunt around Gibson Lake, MT. We were told there was no reason to scout because the sheep winter right down on the lake and are easy to find late in the season. We didn't listen hoping we might get lucky and find a nice ram. We did find lots of sheep, just no good rams.

386dsc01439.jpg

View back toward the lake from our first glassing spot. We packed in 9 miles the first day. This was one stop along the way. We saw a few Ewes and lambs.

8816dsc01448.jpg

While climbing this ridge we saw 2 nice bucks. On the other side of the same ridge we saw an enormous black bear.

8143dsc01453.jpg

Further South on the same ridge we spotted several more sheep and found a dead Ewe. Everyone I know that finds winter kill sheep always finds sweet rams, leave it to us to find a Ewe.

4218dsc01460.jpg

Temps were warm, in the 60's. We planned 4 different 3-day hunts throughout the sheep season. Our first 2 outings the weather was the same. On the third trip the snow arrived the temps fell 80 degrees from what we had known to a daily high of -20. That's when my friend decided it was time to take care of biz and harvested a great ram in life threatening conditions.

5378dsc01476.jpg

I wish I could do this every year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom