First Wolf Taken During Montana Wolf Hunt

FamilyMan

Very Active Member
By ROB CHANEY of the Missoulian | Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Montana's first big-game wolf has been killed in the remote backcountry near Cooke City.

State Fish, Wildlife and Parks spokeswoman Ron Assheim said the Perry Zumwalt of Roberts shot the wolf on Tuesday in Hunting District 316, a remote part of the Beartooth Wilderness north of Yellowstone Park. Tuesday was the first day of Montana's first wolf hunting season. Hunters are required to report their kills within 12 hours, and turn in the head and hide for FWP inspection within 10 days.

"We don't have age and sex recorded yet," Aasheim said on Wednesday. "He may still be in the backcountry for all we know."

Only four hunting districts are currently open for wolf hunting. The other three are in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex. The rest of the state opens to general wolf hunting Oct. 25.

Hunting District 316 is part of the state's Wildlife Management Area 3, which has a quota of 12 wolves for 2009. The state has a overall quota of 75 wolves for hunting this year. Montana's wolf population is currently estimated at about 500 animals.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

Yes, you have to have a wolf tag. Your next chance will be next year.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

I don't believe a quota of 75 Wolfes is enough, but it is a good start, aim straight and keep your powder dry. Good luck to the hunter's that do have permits.
OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed potato's and gravy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom