First year apply and wanted to see what you guys thought

BradA

Long Time Member
So this is my first year applying I did a lot of research as to what areas to apply for , for trophy game in the future here are my areas that I applied for please tell me if you think that I made a good decision. I am trying to build points up to hopefully in the future draw a tag .

mule deer
1)071-079,091
2)291
3)194,196
4)202, 205-208
5)021

antelope
1)032,034
2)061,062,064,071,073
3)012-014
4)015
5)035

nelson bighorn
1)183
2)205
3)211
4)268
5)283,284

bull elk
1)076,077,079,081 E
2)072,073,074E
3)061,071 E
4)231 E
5)221-223 E

California bighorn
1)032
2)034
3)031
4)012

thanks for any advice and help

>
>nelson bighorn
>1)183
>2)205
>3)211
>4)268
>5)283,284

>
>California bighorn
>1)032
>2)034
>3)031
>4)012
>

Are these both ram hunts? You can't apply for two ram hunts if they are.

You can apply for California, Nelson (desert) and Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep ram hunts in Nevada. You just can't apply for rams and ewes for the same subspecies.

Dillon

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-15 AT 03:10PM (MST)[p]Page 19 of the application book, in the Q & A section.

They all state you can apply for the ewe hunts of opposite species as long as you don't apply for the ram hunts.

It is confusing though, I do admit.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-15 AT 04:26PM (MST)[p]You can apply for each sub species of bighorn sheep, but only either ram or ewe for each subspecies.

Page 12 explains it a little more. Page 19 just clarifies for Ram/Ewe questions. Basically you can apply for 1 category for each subspecies, has been like that since forever. I don't know why it reads so confusing in the booklet, it never was that way, but I just applied and no rejection, or in years past.

In regards to the OP.

You have to understand that you can draw any time in NV, so building points is kind of useless, as there is no guarantee that you will actually draw, and no points does not mean you won't draw. I am buying points for elk right now, not because I feel I will have a guarantee later, but because I just don't feel like hunting elk right now, and I want to make my odds as good as possible when I do apply. Even for cows, so I just buy the points, but I know that when I do apply it doesn't mean I will absolutely draw. For cows though, I can pretty much pick any area at this point and bet on a tag in the fall - I have 5 points including the point I just bought.

If you put an easy draw hunt first, all the time, then you will draw easy to draw units and never the harder units that you put after the first choice. You are all over the place in your hunts. You have early migratory herds, resident low population herd, low density migration herd, and all different season dates. Some are arguably better trophy areas than others.

If you put area 7 down as your first choice for deer, you will be hunting deer about 2-3 out of 5 years or so. If you put 194,196 as your first choice all the time, you might wait 10 years or better between tags. Also if you put hard to draw areas first and taper it off to saw area 10 archery, you will hunt deer every year but at least have a shot at a good area, though rare, every year. If you just apply for hard areas, such as 24, 23, 22, 194, 196, etc., then you will be waiting for a long time for a tag. And you burn your points when you draw a tag, though I think there was something recently about getting rid of that if you get a tag in the second or leftover pool.

As for the elk, you also did the same thing where you put arguably some of the better higher quality and tougher to draw hunts after some of the lesser quality and easier to draw hunts, at least by looking at the numbers from the bonus points information and draw odds on the NDOW website. Keep in mind though, that because of they way they go through all of your choices before moving to the next person, the draw odds aren't perfect, so you have to look at the bonus point data along side the draw odds information. The quality statement, particularly for elk can be found there also, as they have the antler length and age measurements for reported elk as well.

Big horn sheep (desert)you kind of did the same. If you want to hunt sheep in this lifetime, apply for the units which have smaller sheep on average. If you want a booner, you are going to wait - a really long time. I apply for a particular area that has good draw odds because I want to hunt sheep and get a mature ram, score be damned.

California sheep odds suck all the way around, so you just have to pick the areas the suit the way you can hunt. I have not desire to hunt wilderness, so I apply for areas that have limited amounts of wilderness.

Thank you for all the help, I guess when I was deciding for areas I didn't take into consideration that I could actually draw my 4th or 5th choice. I pretty much figured by the time they got to those that I would not have a chance and being that I am fairly young and have a lot more years to apply I was trying to pay my dues and go for a premium area. My goals are to kill 190-200 muley , 350+ bull and 180+ ram . At least some people got some new knowledge on here with me posting this about being able to apply for both subspecies of rams, I really appreciate you kinda setting that straight with me and letting me know a little better about the drawing system thank you again .

>Check your inbox. PM sent.
>
>Dillon

Hey dillion for some reason MM dm will never work for me , is there another way you can relay the info to me please . thank you .

>Check your inbox. PM sent.
>
>Dillon

hey, Dillion for some reason MM DM won't ever work for me, is there another way that you could relay the info that you had sent me please.

Hey, Dillion for some reason MM will never let me check my DM so is there anyway that you could relay the info you had sent me ?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-15 AT 12:04PM (MST)[p]Brad - I also didn't realize that you are a non resident, so you are going to have quite a wait anyway.

You are going to have to be very picky to reach those goals, and even if you draw a sheep tag - you may not hit 180. I think there are only a couple California's and desert's that have hit that mark. Look at all the checkout summaries that are available. There is a lot of information there.

350 elk is doable, but then again read my previous post and look at the areas that overall produce the most big bulls, the information is there.

200 inch deer? I have no clue, other than the fact you are going to have to be very picky and do a lot of research, and get VERY lucky.

For the most part you are on the right track. However some of your later choices are tougher draw odds than your earlier choices. Check the draw statistics before next years draw otherwise you are just wasting choices. Also keep in mind that just because a hunt has slim draw odds doesnt necessarily mean more trophy potential. Such as some of the hunt areas near Reno.
Hope this helps some.

thank you for all the advice I will review all that before I apply next year, once again thanks really appreciate it.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-15 AT 11:21AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-15 AT 11:07?PM (MST)

>200 buck or 180 sheep? Get
>some real expectations!

True that! But it can be done and chances are if you hold out, you will have tag soup.

I have been in this state since 2008 and have only seen two deer that would hit 200 or close. One in a unit known for big deer and the biggest one in an area NOT known for big deer. It goes to show and like it was stated before, it will take a lot of luck and scouting to hit that 200" mark. BTW, I hunted that bigger deer for some time, tag in hand, but he was never seen during the day. Night time though, you could set your watch to him.

Sheep, gonna be a long wait so get you a chair and some chips.:)

Good luck!!!!

180" sheep, and 200" buck. LOL. Well I suppose anything is possible. Your best odds for that order is to purchase governors tags for each and hire the guides that have the knowledge to find them. Good luck on the draw and stay thirsty my friend.

Didn't say it couldn't be done! Just kind of asking for a lot! Hunters need to be "Real" with their expectations when asking for input!

The way I see it is that if i set the bar high that when i see a 185-190 inch buck or 170-172 inch ram I will take the shot but knowing what I want and what is realistic is to different things and I am aware of that. One can hope and dream right. average joes like most of us do shoot that class bucks. my good friend that lives just a couple miles from me drew the silver state tag and killed a 240+ buck this last year so it can happen.

All of the Bighorn units for Nevada are decent considering the draw odds. Seems like all of the deer units are not bad. Don't know much about antelope or Elk. I would be curious to know where the best Elk and Deer units are in Nevada as well?

Just a little clarity to how the draw works for the OP

They draw the hunters not the units so when they get to your name they look at your choices until there is a tag or you are out of choices

which makes using the bonus point and draw report data little to no use other than to see how many people choose a said unit or hunt as their first choice

OP,
If you are just starting this year I'd suggest you just blow your first choice on a primo unit and target the lower-mid-tier units even long term. With thousands of squared point holders ahead of you, your odds are slim and none of drawing anything anywhere until many hunters die of old age. Do the math and you will see what I'm talking about. I'm up to almost 20 points and have only drawn one primo tag an elk with 6 points. My chance that year was ~6%. When I am eligible again in 2018 I won't be applying again due to odds would be Powerball. The rest of these hunts have far worse odds now than when I started. Pick low point units where you can draw every ~5 years, hunt and get to know them closely. Your best chance. Advice from an old guy.

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

I would just go for some bonus points for sheep. We have some of the same areas for antelope. make sure you get that stuff in before tomorrow :)

OP
Heres my opinion.
Dont get caught up in the points chase.
Its a bottomless pit. And very expensive. You will almost always be unsuccessful.
My advise is to work hard and save enough money to buy a few good hunts in your lifetime.
In the mean time, hunt with a camera.Iv found that to be very rewarding.

>OP
>Heres my opinion.
>Dont get caught up in the
>points chase.
>Its a bottomless pit. And very
>expensive. You will almost always
>be unsuccessful.

This ^^^ Bottomless pit is a good analogy. Point systems started out with good intent, but have become political targets for free and easy money at honest sportsmen's expense. Understand this when making a strategy.

>OP
>Heres my opinion.
>Dont get caught up in the
>points chase.
>Its a bottomless pit. And very
>expensive. You will almost always
>be unsuccessful.
> My advise is to work
>hard and save enough money
>to buy a few good
>hunts in your lifetime.
>In the mean time, hunt with
>a camera.Iv found that to
>be very rewarding.

Just some insight to this type of plan. A "good" elk hunt is easily $6000 plus and mule deer hunts are getting close t that amount... Nevada costs roughly $200 to apply each year... That means you can apply for 30 years with that same $6k. In 30 years you can be confident you will draw tags.
I drew a rifle deer tag in Nevada with 1 point last year. I was hunting a good buck that was later killed by a different hunter. It scored 204. I also drew a LE bull elk tag (archery) in Utah with 2 points this year.
All that being said, it's your money and your hunts. You do it however you see fit and best of luck.

^^^ I couldnt agree more and thats why I am paying my dues and believe that within the next 5-7 years i should be able to draw a good enough area to harvest a 180-200 inch buck and thats all i am after .

5-7 years still highly unlikely.

Give it this.... The license/application money lasts longer and provides more entertainment and fun than a Nevada slot machine! :)

It is likely you can draw a good enough tag in 5-7 years to kill a 180-200 inch buck. It'll take work and scouting but if you put your mind to it, you can do it. We've pulled good tags with 1 point before in an area that produce 180-200 inch deer. We never hunt anywhere expecting to kill anything bigger than 150" deer. If we do....great. If we don't...great. It's the hunt and the experience that matters. Bottom line is that you can draw tags in a realistic time frame. The rest is up to you.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom