Fishing this morning Humboldt Bay

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I broke my own rule this morning and fished near the mouth of the bay on an outgoing tide. If something happens the last thing you want is to be taken out to the ocean. Plus, the entrance is always rougher on the outgoing tide. The water is moving one way and the swells just the opposite, causing the potential for breakers, or waves that crest. But the tide was low at 7:26am so I figured I'd tough it out for the first hour or so.

I wanted to take some photos to make a story, but I got so busy I only took a few. I'm ready to launch in this photo. Note that my net has not been extended.

P1010529.JPG

I started fishing right there and within about 10 minutes I hooked a big halibut. I worked him to the surface and remembered I needed to open my net. I put the rod between my legs and by the time I was ready to net it he had come unhooked. :mad: A stupid rookie mistake.

By the time I had drifted down to Coast Guard Station Humboldt Bay the fog had come in. There is good fishing for rock fish and Lingcod up against those rocks and I fished it once but got ran out because they want to keep their boat launch unobstructed in case they have an emergency. I understand.

P1010530.JPG

P1010534.JPG

Right after I took those photos I hooked something. It laid on the bottom for a few seconds and I couldn't budge it. I thought giant halibut but then it took off down the bay. Before I could even gather my thoughts it had peeled a hundred feet of line. I cranked the drag down but that didn't even slow it down. I cranked it down farther to the point of breaking the 25 pound leader and it quit taking line but it was still heading out with me being towed. By now I know it's not a halibut and I just want to see what it was so I thumbed it and started gaining a little. I did that for about 10 minutes then it decided it didn't want to play anymore and took off again. I had a hard time just trying to hang on to the rod. We were getting too close to the entrance slot so I turned the kayak around and pedaled as hard as I could and the line broke at the swivel. Thank you, Jesus

I licked my wounds and headed back up the bay. Talk about an adrenaline rush. The tide turned and I hooked what I thought was a good halibut but it turned out to be a 4' Leopard shark. I was able to play it out and release it. At that point I was just glad to be alive so I headed back at the truck.:ROFLMAO:

P1010535.JPG

I'll say it again, you're my hero eel. There catching bluefin down my way up to 150lbs. Sounds like old Hilary might cause some damage but makes for some good fishing.

What a great fishery to be able to target halibut close in. Think you might have hooked a sturgeon?
I think it could have been a sturgeon as I've seen them breach many times while fishing. Leopard sharks only grow to about 6' and I could have easily dealt with that. The thing that baffles me is I don't use bait because I don't want to hook a sturgeon or a shark or a bat ray. A halibut will strike just on the action of a swimbait, and that's why I use it. I don't even use any scent.

I was fishing out there on an outgoing tide right after I got the kayak. I went too far around the north corner and the swell and the current met. It was like being in a wash machine. I felt kind of safe but the Coast Guard actually came by and highly advised me to get out of there. Since then a lot of other kayakers have told me the same thing.

Some people say to use a heavier leader but that can be a no no when fishing from a kayak. If you hook the bottom you need to be able to break it off without tipping the kayak over. Catch a swell or a wave at the wrong time and you're going for a swim if you're tied tight to the bottom.

Eel, you better quit screwing with Moby Dick or Jaws if you do not want the ride of your life right out the mouth of the bay into the great Pacific ocean.
RELH

RELH could you make up one of these, with a floating handle, and a nice neck lanyard. Stainless blade, if possible.

A friend doesn’t know it needs one……..
5EA283F8-30D3-436C-929B-0A4C96FC8970.jpeg

2lumpy, Eel has one of my knives he can use to cut his line. The drawback is that it will not float if dropped overboard.
RELH

That's about the only thing a Hatfied knife won't do is float. It does everything else exceptionally well.

I cut my line one time off Trinidad Head in about 80' of water. I think it was a Thresher Shark. There was a good Lingcod bite on and I didn't want to waste an hour with whatever it was.

That's about the only thing a Hatfied knife won't do is float. It does everything else exceptionally well.

I cut my line one time off Trinidad Head in about 80' of water. I think it was a Thresher Shark. There was a good Lingcod bite on and I didn't want to waste an hour with whatever it was.
Ya, I get it, I guy should alway reel out whatever can thrash the sh!t out of him and whatever he’s setting in. I know, I know….. there’s folks that go looking for bar fights too.

Ya, I get it, I guy should alway reel out whatever can thrash the sh!t out of him and whatever he’s setting in. I know, I know….. there’s folks that go looking for bar fights too.
2lumpy sometimes you over think things, but in this case you said it perfectly.

Helluva story Mr. Eel.

I was twisting in my seat, while reading you story, like watching wrestling. I was trying to "help". haha

Thanks for sharing with us mortals!

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom