fixed blade broadheads with Easton Axis ST

dslaughter

I'm picking up the bow this year after a few years off. I've got everything re-tuned and shooting well. The pro shop made me half a dozen Easton Axis ST arrows.
These arrows seem allot thinner than what I used to shoot. Does this (or will this) affect broadhead flight or selection?
I plan on elk hunting so I want to shoot a good fixed blade.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.
thanks
ds

The Axis is thinner. Easton claims it will give you better penatration. I shoot the Axis and have killed two bull elk and quite a few deer with them tipped with a Magnus Snuffer SS 100gn. broadhead, that combo has been great! Both elk were down within 40 yards, one was hit, spun around, strated to run and piled up before he could get going. You just have to make sure you have a quiver that will hold the thinner arrow.

jodog that's the kind of information I need! thanks for responding. That snuffer is a bad looking head!
I had trouble with my old quiver so I picked up a new one. Very price but it looks great and does a good job keeping the arrow in tight with no rattling.

I used Axis shafts and a 4 blade 100 gr muzzy for several years and killed a couple deer with that combo. The Axis shaft is a great shaft and I do beleive that the smaller OD does increase penatration.

Mark

I also shoot Axis arrows. Thery are great, no doubt about it.
You made a mistake in only getting 6 made up. You need to shoot those six enough for practice that the feathers or fletching is tore up or you nick them up, then have another 6 or so with a only a few dozen shots each on them for hunting.....

I shoot Muzzy Mx-3 100 (but will move to 125's this year). I have also shot Magnus Stingers, mx-4's, muzzy phantoms and some other cheap things for "other" critters such as grouse or yotes or what ever.
I do use the BAR rings from easton on them. I do not "have to" use them on the Muzzy mx-3 because of how the blades are retained. If you are going to shoot any head that needs a washer to "keep" the blades in (many heads do) then I would strongly suggest that you use the BAR rings. make sure and get the correct ones as the 340's and 300's use different ones.

I also think that the BAR's improve the strength of the shaft right there.(they are designed to provide solid and perfect arrow shaft connection) The axis arrows have a different type of insert, it sits inside the shaft about a 1/4". So there is not any support from the insert for that 1/4 inch. The BAR will provide some support.

I have never noticed any undue breakage at that point with or without a BAR. I have broke a few arrows when hitting a rock or a severe deflection, right behind the head.

One more thing, the Axis also takes a special nock. The X nock I think it is. Not a bad idea to have a few x-tra of those around. The nock will alos take a beating if you hit them with another arrow, or hit something real hard. Often the nock is not broken, but after a lot of twisting or messing with it, they will get a little loose. Simply snap a new one in and you are ready to go. IF you are planning on using a lighted nock, the axis is the hardest and least receptive to the lighted nocks. This is due to the thin profile and the batteries and mech of a lighted nock. They do make them and have come a long way for the axis. I do not have much experience with lighted nocks in the last couple of years, but messed with them awile ago. Just seemed like more trouble then it was worth. IMO.

I have shot Easton Axis for several years and love them. Give Wac Em Exits a try. Mine fly exactly like my feild points and I smoked an Elk with them also. These were the only broadheads I found to hold consistant groups and longer ranges 60yds+.

I shoot Slick Trick 85gr 1" 4 blades w/my Axis shafts & they fly like darts. Gregory

I've been playing with some this yr and have found that magnus stinger 4 blades and nap razorcaps will pile in with my fieldpoints out to 70 yards without much trouble. Then I tried a different head, its a single bevel samuraii. This was a whole other ball game and in order to shoot that head I had to do a little retuning. I think they'll shoot anything you want, all you have to do is tune the bow to those broadheads.

"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin

I've been shooting the Axis ST for awhile and I love them. I hunt in Southern NM and there is alot of wind most of the time. I think the smaller diameter of the shaft helps out in the wind. I think you should definitely use the BAR when shooting broadheads. I cracked a shaft once when I didnt use the BAR and had even squared the arrow with a squaring tool.
Enough cant be said when it comes to a good helical fletching when shooting fixed blade heads. The Arizona ez fletch mini wprks great on the axis and puts a mean helical fletch on them. I love the Muzzy 4 blades not just because I'm on there staff but because there a good reliable head that is not going to empty out your wallet when you buy a few packs. I've killed several animals with them and they always perform even on a bad shot that has happened once on a deer.

Muzzy Shooting Staff
Straight n Arrow Archery Pro Staff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom