fixed broadhead or mechanicals

B

bishop952000

I'm pretty new to bowhunting with my girlfriend getting me a mission craze for christmas and all. so I have a lot of questions, but I'll keep this one focused on the broadheads only. Right now I'm set up for 28" draw, 60lbs with the intension of working my way up to 68lb-70lb by the time deer season is upon us, and I'm shooting a 29 1/2" carbon express mayhem with blazer vanes. I'm not sure if I want to use the G5 Montec CS, the G5 T3 mechanicals, or the Rage 3 Blade broadhead. I'm wanting to shoot these in 100 grans. Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.

Some mechanicals do fail to open some times. Most will say not this one or not that one or whatever they are shooting. Everyone has their favorite broadhead, but for me I don't want to take that chance.

I would go with the fixed blades, you need to find one that flies true and doesn't plane on you. I want one I don't have to tune every arrow go get in the same hole as my field points. Because of that, I shoot shuttle T locks, but I understand slick tricks and several others also have very good close to field point flight.

The downside of shooting fixed blades is they will move much more than mechanicals in a strong cross wind. I don't practice 40 yard shots in 30 mph winds though so I don't take them in the field.

thanks guys. has anyone heard anything good or bad about the carbon express F15's? I appriciate the comments.

I shoot fixed as well, slick tricks for me. But, there are three or four really good fixed blade broadheads out there that fly really well. G-5 is a good brand, same with Wac-em.

I shoot fixed blade BH's . Just have your bow tuned for a fixed BH and practice with them until they are shooting like a field point. I lke fixed BH's but I have to admit that alot of folks shoot mechs. and do just fine. Practice alot with what ever you end up useing

Bishop There are so many options with broadheads it's unreal. I would choose a fixed blade if you are just starting out. A few other things to consider are:

Don't worry about your draw weight. Shoot what is comfortable for you and that you can shoot accurately.

Learn how to tune the bow and practice practice practice.

Make sure to practice some shots at various angles and see how it effects your setup.

Most of all have fun!

I have had great luck with rocket mechanicals and NAP mechanicals on animals as large as bull elk. My wife shoots the montec G5 and has had great luck with them. There are lots of great heads out there. There is no substitute for a well placed shot with a sharp blade. Find a head that flies good for you and have fun.

Leave the mechanicals at home. Stout fixed blades for elk. I like a cut on contact design made of machined steel. VPA Terminator for me.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help. I'm now leaning more towards fixed BH's and am starting to compare the Montecs CS, the Shuttle locks, as a start. Once again thanks for all the help.

For a beginner I would definately go with a fixed head to avoid the minor problems with mechanicals. They do shoot accurately but if you paractice, practice and practice some more shooting with broadheads, you will become confident enough to pinpoint them fixed heads. A well tuned bow and sound shooting form is key for fixed head accuracy. Work on your form and get it as constant as possible(second nature. There so many broadheads ont he market that is it almost insane to make a choice as most all will get you a kill. You'll hear horror stories for just about all of them and if you shoot long enough, you probably will have your own. Find one that will give you the least amount of trouble in the field and that is SHARP, and become a tack driver with it. I personally have shot Wac Ems for several years and they work great, the only downfall is when they get a little loose the blades will fall out. So I just put a very tiny bit of super glue between the gold ring and blades.

One thing that might help that i wish some one would have told me at the start 20 years ago, get a 3d deer target and practice. Learning the anatomy position and the different angles will help alot. Hope this helps.

Yea stay away from the RAGE they don't work!!! LOL!!

They work fine! Just like any other broadhead put it where it belongs and you won't have any issues.

RAGE 100gr 2 Blade

477s4azbull.jpg

TRC; That's a great bull and a sweet pic. too. Anyhow, I dig G5 Strikers. 100 Gr. Seem to get it done for me.
redelkarcher>>>----------------->

I just want to say thanks again for all the comments from you fellas. And that is a nice bull you have there.

>TRC; That's a great bull
>and a sweet pic. too.
> Anyhow, I dig G5
>Strikers. 100 Gr.
>Seem to get it done
>for me.
>redelkarcher>>>----------------->

+1

>Yea stay away from the RAGE
>they don't work!!! LOL!!
>
>They work fine! Just like any
>other broadhead put it where
>it belongs and you won't
>have any issues.
>
>RAGE 100gr 2 Blade
>
>
477s4azbull.jpg

And if you dont put it where it belongs you may as well be shooting a practice point !

I shoot both i carry 3 fixed snuffers and 3 grimreapers and distance and terrain and animal determine which one gets launched.

'IT AINT EASY BEING ME'

Yes, Stay away from rage broadheads. They will not break a deer shoulder blade. I hit a real nice buck couple years ago pulled the shot just a tad and hit him square in the shoulder blade. The rage just turned sideways. He was killed the next day as I was still on his trail.

Bishop; I hate to comment on these threads because you get a guy who has killed one animal with XXX head and its the greatest, not including all of the fanboys. Its a testament to the effectiveness of the bow and arrow that most configurations work most of the time.

Do yourself a favor;Goof proof your setup

1. Learn how to broadhead tune your bow- all fixed heads can be tuned to fly perfectly

2. Arrow wise, heavier is better

3. Stay with the old reliable designs fixed COC heads

>Bishop; I hate to comment on
>these threads because you get
>a guy who has killed
>one animal with XXX head
>and its the greatest, not
>including all of the fanboys.
>Its a testament to the
>effectiveness of the bow and
>arrow that most configurations work
>most of the time.
>
>Do yourself a favor;Goof proof your
>setup
>
>1. Learn how to broadhead tune
>your bow- all fixed heads
>can be tuned to fly
>perfectly
>
>2. Arrow wise, heavier is better
>
>
>3. Stay with the old reliable
>designs fixed COC heads

Some of the best advice I've read on an archery board right there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom