Fletching debate

huntin40

I have currently been doing a lot of research on arrows and have come across a topic that has raised some concern on my part. Fletching!! Now i understand that when target shooting, less sometimes means more in regards to weight. With field tips, the 2" blazers are supposed to be great. With texture on the veins themselves, it gives them enough bite to grip the air even without as much surface area as the larger veins. However come hunting season, on goes the broadhead (I shoot G5 montecs). Of course proper tuning of the bow for broadheads will occur, but I have read that 4"-5" veins are recommended to help stabilize flight more since the broadhead itself can sometimes steer the arrow, and that 2" blazers won't be able to like the latter can.

I would love to hear everyone's take on this. What they recommend, shoot, and have success with. I know how debatable the arrow world is so please, the more help the better! Thanks all and good luck this season!

I think with a well tuned bow, Blazers are more than enough. We have been shooting Blazers with helical for the last 3 years with broadheads and we've not had any problems.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

Yup. Been shooting blazers for years now and haven't had a single problem with broad head flight. That is as long as your bow is tuned properly.
If it ain't tuned all bets are off whether they're 2,3 or 4 inchers.

Back when the 2" Blazers first came out and we all had 4" vanes on our arrows. My Archery shop owner said I should try the 2"Blazers as a couple of guys had tried them with good results. We found shooting the same arrows and heads, field tips or Broadheads using the 2" Blazer vanes that we had 8"inches less drop on or arrows at 50yds. Shot both the 4 inch vanes side by side with the 2" Blazers on Easton FMJ340's and G-5 Striker 100gr. The 2" Blazers "max. helical" that I can get them works great in our setups. Shoot them through whisker biscuts same arrows,vanes over 1000+ times and never damaged a Blazer vane unless cutting it with another Broadhead.

We did find that the newer technology 2" Blazers work best with the newer technology smaller diamiter arrows and the smaller aero dynamic style broadheads. It is win win with Blazers if things are set up correctly. Less wind deflection in a heavy breeze and flatter shooting arrows is what we found. If you put those 2" Blazers on an arrow using something like the bigger style Thunderheads they just don't fly well. Our archery shop recommends against using Blazers with large diamiter arrows or the bigger style broadheads.

))))------->

trophy hunter i think your way off in saying you max helical arrows have 8 inces less drop the more helical you have the more speed you burn off so that cant be true .and a wiskerbiscut come on !!!

The amount of speed you lose due to your arrow spinning is probably not even noticable at normal hunting ranges. I believe he had less drop.

When we went to the max helical, my dad fletched some up and went out and shot without changing anything on his setup. Same arrow, same vanes(aded helical), same bow. His point of impact was about 4" higher at 50 yards.

I don't know the physics, it certainly doesn't make sense on the surface, but that is what happened.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain. Maybe it was nothing more than a tuning issue, but I saw it happen.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

look it up at long range it will burn off speed ...

>The amount of speed you lose
>due to your arrow spinning
>is probably not even noticable
>at normal hunting ranges. I
>believe he had less drop.
>
>
>When we went to the max
>helical, my dad fletched some
>up and went out and
>shot without changing anything on
>his setup. Same arrow, same
>vanes(aded helical), same bow. His
>point of impact was about
>4" higher at 50 yards.
>
>
>I don't know the physics, it
>certainly doesn't make sense on
>the surface, but that is
>what happened.
>
>Maybe someone with more knowledge can
>explain. Maybe it was nothing
>more than a tuning issue,
>but I saw it happen.
>
>
>That ain't a camel toe, that's
>a moose knuckle!

If you have a broadhead on, you want max helical to help stablilize. If the broadhead is causing you to hit low on a normal setup, then if you put on max helical in can stablize it to hit high (where it should).
--I'm looking for a man... who calls himself Bucho! That's all! And you had to do it, the hard way!--

Putting max helical can also cause certain broadhead arrow combinations to grab more air and act like a curve ball.

I have no problem shooting a slight offset with small blazer style vanes.

And yes the more helical you have the more drag you have so your arrow will slow down faster. The lighter your arrow is the faster it will slow down with a helical as well. Heaver will maintain its speed better and control the broadhead better.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom