Flying Nevada?

Buckhunter1

I have a chance to fly my antelope unit to get a lay of the land. Does the 48 hour rule apply only to my rifle tag or any hunt in the unit with any weapon for any animal? BH1

I am a pilot and have wondered the same thing. I would like to fly the country to see what it looks like more than whats there.

It's my understanding that you CAN?T as long as there is ANY big game season underway in that unit... including Mt.Lion...which is on from March through February statewide.

I was told a guy with a Rocky Mtn. Sheep tag was hammered for doing it two years ago. The penalty was pretty stiff.

I'm sorry, but I believe that the above post is incorrect. Check out page 13 of this years regulations. The lion hunt is not considered a big game hunt for the purposes of flying if there are not any other big game hunts going on in the specific hunt unit at that time. Basically, you can't fly from 48 hours before the start of the 1st big game hunt of the year until after the final hunt has ended for the year. The regulations spell it our pretty clearly. You can download them from the NDOW website.

Hey Downsouth you are absolutely spot-on! I called a warden in Nevada a few minutes ago and he said the same thing. I wanted to fly this Saturday for my Aug 22nd rifle tag but the BOWHUNTERS start on Sunday so Im not before the 48 hr cut off, so I wont be flying this year. And the fine for doing so is harsh!! BH1

I could be wrong but doesnt that only apply to someone in the plane having a tag that opens in 48 hours? I fly over area 10 all the time looking for water and pockets to hike to.

nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif

Check the regs. You technically cannot fly 48 hours prior to the start of the first hunt of the year, which I believe in area 10 would be the archery deer hunt. You couldn't fly until after the last late hunt of the year is finished. The person flying does not have to have a tag, they cannot be assisting the hunter in any way. It also doesn't matter what tag you have, you can't fly if any big game hunt is open in the unit. The flying is against the law only if you are looking for game animals. I guess you could say that you are flying and looking for water and routes to hike, but I think you'd have a hard time explaining that one if you got caught. Again, check the regs, it spells it all out pretty clearly.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom