Ford 7.3

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
I have a 97 7.3 supercab,long bed, automatic 4x4, towing package etc. We have a 2004 Salem 26' bumper pull. I have the atv rack on my truck bed for the 650 Brute Force and 500 King Quad. I carry a generator , extra water jugs, 40 gallons extra of diesel and gas. Even with the torque big hills can slow me down.
I finally added a chip, downpipe with full 4" exhaust and a high quality air box. The first setting is factory which now is impressive. I will use #3 for towing. 4,5,6 aren't even needed. This was my Dad's truck and only has 138k miles. #2 setting is high idle and it will start much easier in very cold weather when I don't have access to a block heater. If you don't like Ford I'm fine. I will use this truck until I'm dead, lol. This sure does run like a beast now.
7990120190125125311.jpg

Who is the installer (Mechanic) and 2nd question is: Can He/She do the same improvements to my Gas-Ford Turbo Boost 6 Cyl...?

Deermadness, I have a 99 F250 superduty with almost the same set up you have. My truck only has 72,000 miles on it and I can excelerate up a 6% grade pulling our 26 ft. RV. I also have the power chip and larger exhaust and dual tanks that carry a total of 74 gallons of fuel. Dealership installed.
My opinion is that the 7.3 is probably the best diesel engine Ford put out. My son bought the 6.0 when it first came out and had three failures with the turbo and got rid of it and hates Fords to this day.
I have had no failures or breakdowns with my truck except redoing the brakes at 65,000 miles and going to a set of heavy duty brakes over the factory installed ones.

RELH

....yeah...brakes at 65000 miles is a real blackeye....lol

the 7.3 was THE best powerstroke ever.....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

My son Brent he owns PowerTech Diesel Repair Idaho Falls. He builds mega beasts for Sema shows . He likes Fords the best- maybe because he likes to tow huge loads.
I think they run a good shop and they are always, always busy.
I don't plan on an intercooler but that would do alot also.
Not planning on tearing it up I just like lots of power up Idaho's steep grades . When it's time to hit the woods or get home I want to get r done.

That's very low miles RELH. The only complaint I have now is even with new shocks it's a rough ride when empty. When I have it loaded its smooth. Would air bags fix the rough when no load problem ?

Probably Not many 7.3's being Tuned or Chipped anymore!

Most of them are getting Tired by now!

Hope you're doing OK DM!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Mine isn't tired yet. I am doing better Bess. I saw the Doc and I go back to work in 9 days.
I'm off the pain meds and my bone has fused already.
How you doing Bess ?
We came down to see our kids and grandson in Eagle Mountain.

I went from a 7.3 to a 2005 6.0 it cost me nearly $6500 it had just went over the warranty mileage just like all of them . I still have it and drive it hard .

Did You Get Gauges DM?

You'll be able to Heat Her Up Now!

Them Trucks Ain't Known for a Good Ride!:D

You made anybody Inhale Yet?:D

No guages Bob. I know they did checks on it to make sure demand and output working. I didn't see any smoke- maybe the high setting would blow smoke. The only boost I want out of the deal is the towing boost. It's a long pull to the 2 or 3 places we go camping.
I'm tired tonite- we spent the weekend in Eagle Mountain City visiting our kids, and just got home to Idaho Falls.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-19 AT 04:46PM (MST)[p]Dang DM....you better at minimum put an EGT gauge....and pay attention to it towing or you'll melt that thing pulling that load with your foot too far in it.....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

I'd Be Careful without the Gauges DM!

My Work Truck which is No Race Horse Weighs 10K-11K Average!

It Will Pull Hard at a Low 1500 RPM!

But When I Head up Steep Grades I Try to keep the RPM's around 2500 RPM by Dropping a Gear or two when pulling Steep Grades!

Most People without Gauges are only watching Their Temperature Gauge!

But what makes that Rise is the Heat Your Diesel Engine is creating & Transferring that Heat To your Coolant!

You Can Damn Well Warm Things up real Quick and possibly do Damage before you see your Temp Gauge do anything!

You can get by without the Gauges with No More than you're Pulling!

But I'd Surely keep the RPMS up a Little While Pulling Steep Hills even if you have to Manually Shift it down!

And Remember:

The Higher you Turn Your Chip/Programmer up the More Heat you're gonna create!

Just Driving it around Empty,What kind of Mileage Change have you Noticed since you had the work done?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-19 AT 08:41PM (MST)[p]Thanks Homer and Bess. I don't know much about it so I appreciate it. My mechanic just said to only use the 3rd setting . I will talk to him. He pulls unreal loads with his 6.0

>Thanks is Homer and Bess. I
>don't know much about it
>so I appreciate it. My
>mechanic just said to only
>use the 3rd setting .
>I will talk to him.
>He pulls unreal loads with
>his 6.0

If Your Mechanic Drives a 6.0 He Ain't very Smart!:D

(((RAZZIN Ya DM!)))

Them 6.0's are CACKLIN No Low End Power unless there's been some Major Work done to them!

Keep your 7.3!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-19 AT 08:19PM (MST)[p]Boost is an extremely good gauge to have
I run up to 47psi of boost . I watch my boost close so i dont blow a head gasket. This truck is far from stock. But if ya get heat issues water/meth injection is great

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-19
>AT 08:19?PM (MST)

>
>Boost is an extremely good gauge
>to have
> I run up to 47psi
>of boost . I watch
>my boost close so i
>dont blow a head gasket.
> This truck is far
>from stock. But if ya
>get heat issues water/meth injection
>is great

47?

That Thing Ain't Stock!:D

>>LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-19
>>AT 08:19?PM (MST)

>>
>>Boost is an extremely good gauge
>>to have
>> I run up to 47psi
>>of boost . I watch
>>my boost close so i
>>dont blow a head gasket.
>> This truck is far
>>from stock. But if ya
>>get heat issues water/meth injection
>>is great
>
>47?
>
>That Thing Ain't Stock!:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

My cummins is far from stock.. My goal was to build a truck that I could have my horse trailer fully loaded and be able to pass people in these Wyoming mountains. My other goal was to be able to out run a Camaro or mustang.

>7.3
>
300482.jpg

Does that Read 40K?:D

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-19 AT 07:45PM (MST)[p]I've had 3 7.3s, but only put mods on one, a 2001 with a six speed. I had a stainless exhaust, Ford AIS intake and a diablo sport tuner. Awesome mileage on the highest HP setting, plus the acceleration. Towing setting was ok on mileage, but great for towing a 5th wheel. I miss that truck.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

A company called Bullet Proof Diesel has some good mods for the 6.0.

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

>
> What's the best mods
>for a 6.0 with a
>5 speed ?

Trade it in on a 2019 Stroker!:D:D:D

>>
>> What's the best mods
>>for a 6.0 with a
>>5 speed ?