Front Range Thanksgiving Weekend

FamilyMan

Very Active Member
My wife wants to spend Thanksgiving with family on the Front Range (Colorado Springs, Denver, maybe Ft. Collins) so looks like we will be making the long drive down from Missoula. Can anybody recommend some likely locations to spot and glass mule deer (or elk) on the front? I'd love to get away from the crowds for a few hours and enjoy the outdoors.

Thanks.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

Family man,

From Ft Collins. Go up the Poudre Canyon or around Estas Park toward Rocky Mtn. National park.

From Denver head toward evergreen or around Mt Evans.

Have a good trip and Thanksgiving...

If you are in the colorado springs area, drive around the AFA.
Granted it is not fun in the sense of hiking and glassing away from all the crazies but there are a lot of nice bucks you get to see in action up close. Some are big, may get lucky and see a monster but most are in the 130-165 class. If you check out the areas around the stream you'll probably see whitetails in action also.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Thanks all. I will keep checking back for more ideas.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

I would think you'd see deer in Garden of The Gods down in CS. I haven't been to RMNP since last month, but there's always elk there and in Estes Park too.

I agree foulshot but when I go in there I look for the sheep, deer are a bonus.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Check out the open space areas and neighborhoods around Castle Rock and Franktown, even take a drive out to Elizabeth. There are some awesome bucks rutting like crazy right now. Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving.

Yep..Castle Rock..Elizabeth..AWESOME deer in that area. I shot my 211"NT very near Castle Rock a few yrs back.

Go behind Red Rocks in Morrison, CO you see the biggest deer you have ever seen.

East of Co Spring toward the State line(town of Eads) you will see some REALLY NICE WT and Muleys that should be rutting good right now.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Someone PM me with these deer locations in Castle Rock. I live here and I rarely see deer. Now out towards Elizabeth, yes more so there. Also just drive around Black Forest.

There is that little resident herd of elk between Castle Rock and Castle Pines, haven't seen any big bulls in it though.

Hello all, and thanks for the recomendations. Unfortuanately, due to the blizard like conditions in western Montana last week we did not make the trip to Colorado for Thanksgiving. Will probably be back here in a couple of weeks asking the same question about the week between Christmas and New Year.

Thanks again.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom