Funny story in Unit 50!!

custer515

LAST EDITED ON May-11-13 AT 02:38AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-11-13 AT 02:36?AM (MST)

I drew the second season rifle bull tag last year in unit 50 (Oct 13/2012). This was going to be my first bull tag for I had drawn a cow tag the two years before. I had scouted this unit during the month of August for 2 days. I had seen several elk and appeared that it was going to be a good hunt. Except for all the negative comments that I had been reading about. I had got to my hunt location 2 days before and set up camp on the east side of Pot Mtn. I had also seen a few elk including a decent bull 2 days before the hunt. As opening day got closer, herds of road hunters began to fill the camps. Me and my partner had the plan to hike as far as possible. Found a nice shed, several fresh rubs. I mean SEVERAL. Day 1, day 2, day 3 and still no bulls. I then did what I said I wasn't going to do. My buddy got on his 4-wheeler and I got on my rhino and drove around. I didn't take long and we were confronted by a truck load of locals (x5) and a dog. The people seemed very friendly and wanted to share advice. It didn't take long and another vehicle pulled in behind the other. My buddy was stuck talking to the driver, so I just pulled forward hoping he would stop talking. Before I knew it the guy that just pulled up got out of his truck and slamed the door. All 5'3" of him with a weird shaped pot belly and a sun hat as big as he was. He then walks to the bed of his truck and slams open the tailgate. He then says, "Its a good day" ha ha. Cracks open a beer. Then says, ha ha, "its a good day for a joint". This odd shaped belly then disappears as his pulls the biggest 1 gallon bag full of weed that I have ever seen. Me being a police officer for the last 8 years, say to myself, "don't say anything, this is going to be funny". The little guy the walks up to the driver of the vehicle that is already stopped. He then says to my friend, hey, are you done man. He then tells the driver what he has and 6 not 5 people get out of the vehicle. I want some, I want some is all you hear. The guy then asked me, you smoka. No, thanks. We then stayed one more day and left early. That's my experience with unit 50 (pot mountain?????) Here is a pick of the shed i found.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/7684photo_(3).jpg

should shown him your badge, I bet there would be a lot less road hunters around. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I'll be hunting unit 50 second rifle this year. Guess that guy thought he should be hunting "higher". Lol Great story.

It would be funnier if it wasn't true. Ran into a couple of old geezers in the south end of 50 a couple years ago while walking back to my truck. Smoke came pouring out of their window when they stopped to talk. Both were wearing bandanas and I swear they looked just like Cheech and Chong!

thats most northern nm units for you. its a shame but sadly true. oh well better hunting for those of us who actually get out and hike.

Not a fan of the weed--it's killed enough brain cells of my family and friends that they don't even know they're permanently messed up--they actually think smoking it makes them smarter.

Won't be surprised if one of these "geniuses" starts the next major forest fire...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom