G1 advice

Buckoff

Anyone hunt G1 and the Tehama wildlife area? I drew the tag this year and am looking for areas to scout, tips, anything. We are headed up over Labor Day weekend. Gonna stay at hat Creek and drive on down and look around.. looking at Ishi to start but not sure of much of the area.

Grew up hunting it. Haven?t been there in years though. Probably won't see any deer down that low this time of year. Sounds like your able to hunt the Tehama wildlife area? You used to have to apply for limited permits to hunt it. Not sure anymore. Pray for rain before the season. Take a drive through Payne?s creek and South across Antelope creek. Rough rocky roads once you get off the main drag but if you have a 4x4 or quads take a drive on the grapevine Jeep trail. All that country pretty much looks the same. Oaks, brush patches and lots of lava rock everywhere. It's a pretty good jaunt from Hat creek though. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Excellent information! Yes I had to apply for the wildlife area and still don't know if I got it.. I will find out next week.. using hat Creek as a scout base so the littles and wife can enjoy themselves while I scout..gonna hit burney falls and all that too.. I am keeping my fingers crossed but am still interested in other C4 lands as g1 is basically late season c4.. I don't get to hunt until October 26.. any other spots on public Access is greatly appreciated!

Usually it's pretty hard to find the deer higher up in C4 late unless you have a honey hole.The deer seem to migrate down into the thick timber just up from the oaks and hold there until it rains. That's not what always happens, but happens allot. There are a few waves of deer that migrate down. Sometimes the first wave goes down all the way to the bottom of the foothills fairly early compared to the others. I have heard of some hunters hunting up fairly high during the late season and finding bucks, but it seems to be allot harder. Several years ago some guys got lucky up by hat creek, road hunting late and killed two great bucks during a rain storm. So luck has allot to do with it. If I remember right they had their picture in the California hunting digest. Also if you hunt the brush patches in the lower country, a good deer dog helps tremendously. If no dog someone needs to play dog and fight their way through them to drive the deer out. My dad and I walked up to another hunter one year who had just passed a brush patch about 10-15 yards around. He said he threw a bunch of rocks in it and nothing came out. My dad decided to claw his way through it and out came a fat fork horn. We shot him as the guy watched in disbelief. Not saying there's a buck in every patch, but you never know where you might find one.

This is all good stuff! I agree the usual hunter walks right past a deer.. just laying there.. some of the biggest bucks I have seen I have stepped on.. they don't get big by running around in the open.. I appreciate the insight..I will surely shake the brush in search of the big boy!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom