Gaiters or Pants for snow

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
Would you all recommend gore-tex gaiters or some gore-tex full length pants for hunting in the snow? I'm not talking about insulation or base layers, mainly trying to figure out a system for not getting soaked when walking and trudging through snow.
Thanks!

check out the gear forum, it was suggested that alot of people liked the Kennetrek. I picked some up but have not used them yet.

I guess that would depend on how deep the snow is. I have gators and I'm happy with them until it is time to take them off and the zipper is so packed with snow that it is difficult to move. Usually just wait until the heat in the truck or tent has melted the snow and then no problem.

Another factor to consider is that if you want to sit/kneel in the snow then the gators will not do you a lot of good.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

MT050 pants with Kenetrek Gaiters, if the snow is deep and wet. If the snow is cold and dry than just gaiters and wool pants. Kenetrek gaiters are awesome and have no zippers to freeze.

Rivers West Gaiters are great as well. Wear them on all types of hunts. Frost in the morning, rivers crossings, etc.

Both. Outdoor Research "Crocodile" gaiters are the toughest out there. Kenetrek are nice but wont hold up in the talus and really rocky stuff.

>Both. Outdoor Research "Crocodile" gaiters
>are the toughest out there.
> Kenetrek are nice but
>wont hold up in the
>talus and really rocky stuff.
>

And the LOUDEST. They are nice, I own them as well but they have no place if you are trying to get in close. Now for rifle hunting wide open terrain, they would be great.

I have always used wool pants and gaiters.
Wool stays warm not matter what, and the gaiters keep snow out of the boots.
I hunt Idaho in November, so I know about cold. I have never had a problem staying warm or dry.

Use wool and gaiters. I hunt the high country in November and this is the best choice for us. One thing to think about is the material used in the gaitors must be quiet. If you walking in brushy areas then they can be quite loud. I use gaiters that my wife has made for me out of soft camo material. I weatherproofed them with a spray that has no smell and they work great.

For me it depends on what kind of hunting I'm doing... If I'm calling dogs in deep snow and never getting more that a couple hundred yards from the truck then I'm in full gore tex pants. If I'm putting on miles in deep snow then I want the breathability of fleece- wool and gaiters. I don't worry about my fleece or wool pants getting wet, the purpose of the gaiters is keeping snow out of my boots.

OR Crocks for me. Wear them under your hunting pants and the noise is gone. If it's so deep you are post holeing that won't work.

Bean

Get you a pair of full length goretex pants. I've run cougar with hounds since the early 80's so I've spent a lifetime hunting in the snow. For years used wool pants and gaiters and was resistant to change.....until I got my first pair of new generation water proof pants, now my woolies hang in the closet unused. They keep you drier, warmer and they don't soak up water like wool.

I currently am using Cabela's Silent Suede pants that I team up with Outdoor Research gaiters. However, if you're concerned about noise, forget about the gaiters and just duct tape your pant legs tight around your ankles. You might not win any fashion contests this way, but you'll still keep the snow out of your boots.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom