Gaiters.

SHEDYGAGA

Just my opinion, but I have been testing a couple pairs of gaiter for the last year.
The Outdoor research gaiters are tough as hell.
The Kuiu gaiters are great.
But the Sitka gaiters are a pleasure to wear. Love them.

2140gaiterpic.jpg

I have found that each has a best use.
Outdoor research when in heavy brush that wants to rip your pant legs to shreds. Also when you wear crampons.

Kuiu for waterproofing, muddy, wet, conditions. Snow.

Sitka for light duty, every day use.

You cant beat the price on the Kuiu gaiters.
The expedition crocs are usually $100
The sitka run $150
And the Kuiu come in at $70

Sitka works best with pants that have knee pads. (slightly shorter)

Just an opinion.

Good info Shedy. I can attest that the OR ones are pretty dang awesome. Wore them for 2 weeks tromping through alders and bogs in AK and they held up great and did their job.

If anything, I'd say the upper strap could be improved upon; but it looks like they all have the same buckle system. Could maybe use some elastic up there.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I've used OR and Kennetrec. Much prefer the OR gaiters. Kennetrecs have a snap on the closure which is a PITA to use once it gets dirt in it and is noisy if you don't snap it. Just had an encounter with some old barb wire hidden in the brush and bought another pair of OR. One con to the OR gaiters is they don't come in Gucciflauge colors but black works just fine for me.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom