Garn Blackburn

10-4 good buddy... heard of him.

He's an oldtime lion hunter out of Southern Utah if I'm not mistaken. The Kanab area or somewhere down there.

Don't know a whole lot about him but I know some fellars who do. What do you want to know or what are you fishin' for?

He's an old time hunter though. Was hunting lions when I was still just a twinkle in the milkman's eye!!

Not sure if he's even alive or not anymore, and if he is probably pretty old and retired from hunting. But he's from the old school and hunted back in the day.

Just done a search and there was a Garn Blackburn that passed away in 1993 who lived in Orderville, Kane Co., Utah at age 70.

Brian***

HounDawg I just finished reading Del Cameron's book and he mentioned Garn Blackburn, I have this thing about the oldtimers can't explain it. MY next question is has anybody heard of Willis Butolph any background information would be appreciated.

Willis Butolph lived in the Price/ Wellington area if I'm not mistaken. Hunted lions and bears, used mostly brindle colored dogs from what I've heard. Bred some other stuff into them on occasion I guess.

Yup, that would be the very Garn Blackburn. I kinda figured he had to be dead by now, but I didn't want to post that in case he wasn't. ;-)

He was kind of a famous lion hunter back in the day. 'Course there was only 5 hound guys in the whole state back then so I guess they were all famous!!

Now there are 5 on every block in Utah!!

Willis is maybe the most famous hound guy to ever come out of Utah. A Plott man and a very colorful gent at that. I think Ed mentioned this in a post last spring but Stan's buddy Van Johnson came to bear camp with us and told some old Willis stories and I'd dare say they were about as good as stories ever get. I could have sat and listened to him talk about Willis all night.

Thanks HounDawg,kilowatt and catman.I recently found a article in a magazine about Homer Pickens it was real good. OK last one Waylund Potter.

Trapper, sounds like you would really enjoy reading the Frank Hibben books if you haven't already. Great reading!!

Hunting American Bears
Hunting American Lions

Or if you get down around Glenwood, NM go visit Sewell Goodwin and check out his garage.

I've heard of Potter but can't remember what I heard. Dig up all the old Full Cry's you can and read the articles by the Majestic group. They used to always print old stories of these old time hound guys. Really great reading.

I knew a guy that had Blackburn ride into his camp one time down around Zions. He said, "His eyes were black as coal. When he looked at me, his eyes burned two holes right through me." Said he never forgot how Garn's eyes looked....

I've heard men say the same thing about seeing Ed in his bear skin thong and leopard skin speedo.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom