General area vs limited entry

southslope82

I was curious to see what your opinions were on this....... Would you rather live on or close by an area that is a general area/unit for deer or elk, and be able to hunt there every year, scout the area more and harvest respectable bucks/bulls on a frequent basis, But not have the advantages of seeing as many or as quality animals, or gather as many or as good of shed antlers and view the wildlife, etc...........
Or
Would you rather live on or close by an area that is a LE/Draw area that you would only be able to hunt maybe just once or twice yourself and a handful of times with others and harvest quality animals, but having great shed gathering, wildlife viewing, and whatever other related purposes. etc.....
I have the best of both worlds here were I live so I am very fortunate. I know you can always travel but just for the conveiniance of it and most practical reasons which would you rather have?

Me, id rather live by a decent General area that i could always draw with my second choice. Without good knowledge of your area, experience in other areas and a bit of luck can help but i believe knowing your hunting area well is key to consistent success on better than average bucks.

Joey

+1 BITG

General all the way. Once or twice, (most likely once) I will pay to travel, but to have to travel far distances every year to hunt and scout would make it tough.

general for me also

I think the Le units are fun but dont want to hurt my chances of hunting every year. with all the work I do scouting I should find something worth hunting come fall. If I want to go look for sheds Ill drive the extra distance to do so.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

I think most people would go with the general, but I would go with the LE and better quality...it is a personal obsession with the monsters for me and it would be GREAT to have them in the backyard!

I have the best of both worlds. I live by the border of both so it works out great!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom