Generator for trailer

muzz

Long Time Member
I am looking for a generator for my trailer, how many watts to run the microwave? Not concerned about the ac. Just charge the batteries and run the microwave and tv for the kids.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Those little honda and yamaha 2000 generators are pretty sweet. You can even hook two together if you need a little more kick for the ac.

[URLwww.sjoutfitting.com][/URL]
YouTube

If you are just running the Microwave and TV I would suggest a 3000/3500 peak generator, if you do want to run the AC from time to time you will need a minimum 3500/4000 watt but perferably a 4000/4500 watt. I have been running the champion generator for a few years now and for the money its a good machine. Like mentioned above the yamaha and honda's are really nice, light weight and very quite but also very expensive.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-11 AT 10:56AM (MST)[p]read the panel on the microwave, that will tell you what you need. Unless it's a giant, 3500 is way overkill. Honda eu2000i will do just fine on a 1000 watt microwave. The 2000i will run you 999.99 Oh, and a 1000 watt generator will not run a 1000 watt microwave.

AC is another story if you ever want to run it, and unless it's an old/small AC like mine (7000 btu), you will need the 3000/3500 to kick it over. Most of the "modern" roof airs are 11K btu or more. Once it's going a 2000 might run it but a 2000 won't get it started. Look at the AC specs and a local rv guy can tell you in 10 seconds what it will require.

I have a 5500 watt one already but its heavy as hell and loud, I am looking for something small and enough to run everything but the ac when i am hunting. If I had a sticker on the microwave i would just read it but there is nothing that tells me what watts to run. I was thinking a 3000 watt would run what I need.
O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

I would go with the Honda/yamaha 2000 they are more expensive but will last for years/ years and very quiet, and light. I have a Honda 3000 its pretty noisy and almost twice as big as the 2000. Only reason I have a 3000 is for A.C.

I have a yamaha 2000. I can run the A.C or the microwave in my trailer but It does not have enough juice to run both at the same time. It isn't really a problem as we can allways shut off the A.C to run the microwave for a few minutes. I would sugest the honda or the yamaha. Well built units and they are quiet and easy to move around.

You can't beat the Honda 2000 for what you're talking about, but they run app. $1000. You can toggle it down to economy setting to charge the batteries and/or watch TV and kick it on high for the micro. Even on high they are pretty quiet and on economy just to run the furnace in my trailer it will go two nights on one tank of gas.

I also have the honda 2000 and its a great little unit !! But I also have a onboard generator , a 5500 watt onan. So when I use the microwave or the a/c I just hit the switch and turn on the big generator. My microwave is to big for my little honda. So make sure you check the wattage on yours.
A couple of years ago I put two solar panels on my roof and a controller with two six volt golf cart batteries. Now i dont use my generator. Only the big one for a/c or micro. Solar has come along way and works great.
My buddy has no on board generator so he went with the 3000 honda w/ a remote starter. It runs everything on his trailer and is no louder then my 2000 watt. He just hits his remote from inside his trailer and starts the generator , its a neat set up and cannot be done on the 2000 watt.

I have a Champion 3,500 watt, it is a cheapie but is on its fourth season and has worked great. My dad bought one this year and put away his smaller, a little ligher, a lot more expensive and a little quieter "other" generator since it would not run his microwave or AC in the higher elevations. With generators, you generally lose power as you get higher in elevation

Checkers or whatever they changed their name too and other places sell them. Cabelas has them on sale for $319

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cham...on+generator&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Elkhunter96,

That is the same one I have as well its a great gernerator for the price mine is going on 4 years as well and still starts on ther first pull every-time!

I use the Honda 2000 generators for work. We have 4 or 5 of them. We use them for 8-10 or more hours a day up to 6 days a week and have been doing so for 6 years. I have never had a problem with any of them! We push the watts on those baby's as well putting electricity into the ground for are surveys. They are quiet and light. For the quality they are not that expensive. I picked ours up for around 800 bucks!

we do change the oil every 2 weeks so this might be one reason they are lasting so long.

Don't be afraid of the champion. I have one and it works very well. It is louder then the honda and yamahas but also is 25% of the cost. If cash ain't an issue then I'd go with the honda/yamaha. I just use a 50 foot extension cord and get the unit away from the camper and have no issues with the noise.

Stay away from the generac.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

Have you looked into solar power for the battery's??

easy to install and won't break the bank,hell it will even cut down on the run time of the generator.

just a idea,

Wanting something te size of the hondas but dont have that much money, Does champion build one that small with good watt output?

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Yeah they do. I've got the Champion 3500 size and its been great. It is a little overkill, but its nice to have around the house or if you have a project away from any outlets. Also nice if you don't want to worry about turning something off to run something else. I got mine at the auto parts store. With rebates and sale price I think it was around $250.

The only drawback to the Champion is that its a little louder than the Japanese stuff. I just bring an extension cord and dig a small hole to put it in and I don't notice the noise at all. Its heavier, but its also harder to steal. And if it is stolen from camp the price will hurt less.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-11 AT 09:45AM (MST)[p]I would be careful about putting it in a "small hole" because like any other motor, they need fresh air and space around them so they don't overheat! I think a better way is taking a piece of 1/4" plywood and some 2"x2" lumber and making a 3-sided box with a cover. Make it with wingnuts that are easily put in and taken off so it can be broken down when on the road and make it big enough to allow air movement with the open side facing away from the trailer to lessen the noise. Even a collapsible cardboaard box will do, but you will want a light piece of plastic to cover it in inclement weather.

You can run just about any microwave with a 2000 watt generator. Only the combo microwave / convection units need more juice.

Almost all microwaves are in the 1000-1500 watt range, and most camper models about 1000-1200. In theory you could get away with a 1500 watt generator, but few of these are made, and you need a continuous output in this range, not just peak load. Given the fact you will often have a light or two on at the same time, and will likely be providing a small amount of power to the battery charger at the same time, a 2000 watt model is the appropriate minimum.
No doubt the Honda and Yamaha models are great, but expensive as noted above. Generac makes a 2000 watt model sold through Costco for about half the price, and the Champion units mentioned are a real bargain, though a bit louder.

I have several generators currently for various uses, and the cheap 4000/3500 champion stays with my camper. It is more than I need because I never use the AC, but it runs so well and was so cheap it is hard to replace. I have been considering the Generac as a more modest upgrade than the Honda. My large Yamaha and Generac are just too big to take routinely.
Bill

I was going to buy a Honda after I purchased my trailer, but at the time was a little tight on cash. To make a long story short my wife can't live without her morning coffee so instead of waiting we bought a cheap A$$ Champion for $299 at Checker. We thought for the price we could buy it use it for a year and throw it away if needed. However after a little over 4 years it just keeps running and generally starts on the first pull. I really can't say anything bad about it except it is a little louder than my friends Honda. 3500 watts runs tv and microwave and just about everything else at the same time. It does have a hard to starting the ac sometimes and nothing else can be plugged in or on when trying to do so.

Costco on-line has a Honeywell generator for $450 (about $480 with shipping)(deal runs until the 14th) Not a bad deal at all and almost as nice as a Honda for half the cost.

TBuck,

Run the fan on your AC unit for a couple minutes before kicking on the AC compresser and it will elliminate the problem ;)

check out wisesales.com I bought 2 honda 2000 from them a few years ago for $879 shipped to my door. Only took 3 days to get. Also bought my toro lawn mower from them. Should have the cheapest price

redfrog---I just went onto the Costco website and that $450 for the Honeywell includes shipping and handling. That price is definitely hard to beat!

The honeywell is sold out. Has anyone had any luck with the Generac 2000 Watts Running/2200 Watts Peak Inverter Generator? Ron

I believe generac made the honeywell. I have a 10,000 watt generac which is a workhorse. I odered one of the 2000 watt models from costco, so will know soon enough.

Bill

This is a little off topic, but does anyone know how difficult it is to hook these generators to your house panel as a back-up?

Unless you have a big one dedicated to just that purpose it isn't worth it. I believe most jurisdictions require that it be done by a licensed electrician so there is no chance that current will flow backwards into the main line and kill a worker.

To use a little generator for back up you need to use extension cords. My dad has a 16,500 back up generator on his house. Comes on automaticly when the power goes out and it only powers one a/c and half the house.

As previously stated, it really isn't feasible (or legal) to hook these small back-up generators to your house electrical panel. You can use extension cords for most items, but trying to run the power through your panel is both dangerous (if done inproperly) or expensive if done with the correct transfer switches, etc.
A modest sized house will require close to $10K in equipment and labor to install the appropriate panels to run off a generator. This does not include the cost of the generator itself. Unless you live in an area with really irregular power, it just isn't worth the expense.
Bill

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom