Gila, 16 B?

BaldBeaver

Ok, so let start of by saying that I am not one of those guys asking for someone to give me their honey holes. I drew an early season archery Gila tag. I have a pretty good idea of where I want to hunt. Thinking of heading in from the north and working my way towards the jerky mountains. I am posting this thread to simply see if anyone has any advice, or maybe thinks there would be a better option. I intend to do several trips there between now and November, but thought hey, its worth a shot to see if anyone has any info that may aid me in my quest
for my first elk, on my first elk hunt.

~Jason Peterson

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."~Jack Kerouac

Jason - Congrats on the tag. I also drew 16B, my first time going to the area as well. From what I have heard, coming in from the north is a good starting point. The jerky mountains are over 5 miles as the crow flied from the trailhead. Especially if this is your first elk hunt, the best advice I have had so far is to have a plan for how to get an elk of that country. Especially early season. Unless you have major help or horses, take a sat phone and have a packer or 2 to call and give you a hand. Well worth the money most likely. If you want, Pm me and we can compare notes. Good luck.

+1 what bulldog said. have a plan to get your bull out. it took 2 of us 3 trips to get my bull out last year. luckily we were only about a mile in.

There are 3 of us that are going to be on this hunt, so, where it will still be a lot of work, it should be doable.

~Jason Peterson

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."~Jack Kerouac

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom