Gila cell phone serv?

• Thread starter northwesthunter
  • Start date
N

northwesthunter

Wondered if there are many areas in the gila where a guy can get cell coverage. We have verizon and will be in 16a. Thanks nwhunter

I would say probably not. It has been a couple of years since I have hunted up that way but I don't ever remember having service. The only place i can think of that MAY have service would be the town of Reserve but I don't know. There is a pay phone at the Negrito Fire Base, just don't call collect on it cause you will NOT like your next phone bill.

jeff

You can get cell phone service in Reserve now. I have Verizon (nationwide plan) and it is roaming but you can get it...pretty much just in town, so don't expect much service out away from town. I could also get service with the Plains of San Augustine to my east while I was on Bursum Road.

>You can get cell phone service
>in Reserve now. I
>have Verizon (nationwide plan) and
>it is roaming but you
>can get it...pretty much just
>in town, so don't expect
>much service out away from
>town. I could also
>get service with the Plains
>of San Augustine to my
>east while I was on
>Bursum Road.

+1

Once you are out of reserve, cell service is hard to come by. I have climbed to many a peak trying to get one... ( or at least that is what I tell the wife )

In all seriousness, there isn't much at all for service. There is always the pay phone near the fire lookout.

Good luck on your hunt!

NMYB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

I hunted 15 last year and had service in reserve with my verizon cell phone,then it was lousy until i got close to spingerville az.

I live in area and have verizon,it works in Quemado,Reserve,out in Plains of San Augustin,Pie Town occationally.Get across border to Springerville and full service.It works in some places out in the hills,like my place(sort of),but hit and miss.

Come on Scotty! You don't need no stinkin cell phone! Your elk hunting remember, unless you have to call and check in with the Boss every hour or two that is! lol I'm just kidding. Jeff got back from 16C and he said he saw 500+ elk, mostly cows, calfs and rag horns. He did see two nice bulls, one in the 350 range. I hope you guys have a great hunt!

If you are hunting 16A if you go to Collins park which is far north end of the unit and take FS 28 the road that goes to the Plains. About 8-9 miles up that road you will see the powerlines and I was getting Verizon service there. I would make the 30 min drive every other day or so to that spot and make the necessary calls in the middle of the day. Not real close but closer than Reserve. Good Luck you are in for a treat.

Hunting south of reserve...435 turns into forest road 181, Sign Camp Mountain had service on my verizon, but that was the only place in the area.

Thanks guys for the input. It is nice to have the option of calling home and checking business messages but defenitely not a deal breaker when you are hunting rut crazed bulls! Wish I had the tag too but calling and filming is alot of fun too. Hey Showtime sounds like Jeff found some elk huh. Wish we were there at the same time I would pee on his tire this time, one of my all time favorites with you guys just wish I could have got it on video! Now that I now where to use my phone from where are the big bull honey holes LOL nwhunter

Verizon has a number that you can call and it will update your roaming signal to where you are instead of your home area. I will get it in the morning as it is kept in my PU and I don't feel like going outside and getting it now.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

The number is *228, and you have to do it when you get some service in area,like near Catron co. courthouse,Reserve,then dial and it will prompt for reprogram for local roaming.But lots of areas in the Gila with NO service.My advice is forget about work and be safe....Call later!

hunted 16a for several years now. No service in majority of the unit. There is a pay phone at the Negrito work center that allows you to call land lines only. Other than that...you need a sat phone or head to reserve!

Good luck on the hunt. Was up there this past weekend scouting 16a/16c. Grass is super green and tall. All water holes are extremely full. Raining every afternoon. Saw well over 200 elk and some nice bulls. Lot's and lot's of calves. Going to be a great year.

Good luck and good hunting.

There are spots in the forst along the roads that do get service. just have to drive and pay attention to your phone. the other option is to get a cell signal boster. good luck I know you can get service on the road uptp the negrito look out.

good luck

+1 on the negrito lookout. I have hunted a lot around bear wallow and I have got service parking at the lookout on my verizon phone. Good luck on your hunt!!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom