Glock help

ELKOHOLIC

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-09 AT 04:51PM (MST)[p]I just bought a new Glock 27. Upon opening the two spent test cartridges I noticed that where the firing pin striked the primer it didn't look normal. I went out today and shot the gun to see for myself. It shot fine, but It doesn't have a clean circle like a firing pin normally does. The firing pin housing is imprinted on the primer in a rectangular shape. This is the third Glock I have owned and I have shot many others and never seen this. I haven't contacted Glock yet, but I dought they will do much. Any idea whats causing this. The frustating thing is that Glock test fired it and still passed it on to be sold. Any help is appreciated.
bullet.jpg

Buy a S&W M&P....or a XD :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LOL, Glocks are fine firearms, I just dont like there trigger. I prefer the M&P's as far as a "safe action trigger" is concerned. I also like the interchangable backstrap.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Our department uses glocks so it makes sense for me to own a glock. I haven't had any complaints with them until this issue. I have shot the XD's and theres nothing wrong with them either.

Come on guys! A little help here.

Glocks have a strange shaped (compared to the rest of the firearms world" firing pin. Being a spring-loaded striker fired weapon, that spring holds pressure against the spent primer part way through ejection -- hence the rectangular shaped "smear" on the primer face. Looks like a high pressure sign but it's not. It's just "Glock".

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

So thats normal? I took the gun apart and the firing pin does have a funny shape to it. Hate to say it, but I have never paid that much attention to it before.

Yes it's normal....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Thanks for the help Bucksnort. I found a couple of articles and pictures on the net that showed the same thing. I guess when you start reloading you pay attention to these type of things.:)

Very true.... I just learned that you should not be shooting cast lead bullets out of Glocks with factory bbls.....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Concerning Glocks and shooting cast lead bullets out of the factory barrel, DO NOT DO IT!!!

Glock manufacturing themselfs will tell you not to do it. but you will hear from guys who say they have done it and no problems. They are not lying, but are playing a game of Russian rulette.

The rifling in the factory Glock barrels have more of a tendency to fill up with lead deposits and raise pressures to a dangeous level where something will come apart.

I am aware of one test where a glock was fired with cast bullets by a person who had access to lab pressure testing equitment. He found that after about 4-5 rounds the pressures would jump higher with each shot fired. He stopped his test after the pressures reached over 10,000 PSI above standard to avoid distroying his firearm.

There is valid reports of Glocks having severe failures while shooting cast lead bullets. some guys have been lucky in shooting cast bullets by just choosing a cast lead bullet that was of proper size and hardness where it did not lead the barrel as much as other cast bullets would.

Just because you shoot a "Hardcast" lead bullet, it will not stop leading of the barrel. If your lead bullet fails to fill the grooves and lands propertly, you will get gas blow by that will cause a lead soldiering effect on the barrel. This builds up and the restriction will shoot pressures up to a dangeous level. Stick with copper jacket bullets in the Glock factory barrel.

If you want to shoot cast lead bullets, buy a aftermarket barrel from Brownell's or Midway that has standard rifling made for shooting cast bullets.

RELH

Very good info RELH...

After learning of this I priced replacement bbl's and I think I will just load some jacketed Rainier's for now.....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Bucksnort;

Go to this website X-Treme Bullets, and check out their plated bullets. Better then Rainier's and I think you will like the price. The prices include the shipping charges.

RELH

Thanks, I checked them out ...Good prices.. I'll be ordering from them....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

true stuff, i shot a box of lead bullets thru the glock 17 before i found out that lead and poly rifling dont work so well together!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom