GMRS Radios

SureShot

Very Active Member
Anybody out there own a Motorola T5550 or know about GMRS radios?

Santa left a set of these at my house, and all I know about them is that you push the little button in and talk. According to the manual, channels 1-7 and 15-22 are GMRS channels and require a license from the FCC to use. What's that all about and do these licenses cost money?

If I don't have a license, is it only legal for me to use channels 8-14?

Also, what's the deal with the sub-channels? How do those fit into this?

I appreciate any help you can give a newbie. Thanks.

I don't have the same model as you have but I have a set of the Motorola GMRS radios. Mine only have a 5 mile range on them. I'm not sure what state you live in but here in AZ the FCC is so undermanned that they are not worried about people using walkie-talkies while out hunting. They are more worried about people that are talking to people across the country and around the world on their radios. So technically you are supposed to have a license but as long as you use it with common sense and you aren't swearing all over it you will be all right.

The sub-channels are just a little more privacy. Set your channel and sub-channel and you will almost never have to worry about other people on the same channel. Good luck and enjoy.

I have the Motorolas and am not sure if they are the same ones. At Walmart you can get the earpieces and these are really important to minimize noise/chatter. I use the sub channels to ensure you are not being talked over all the time. In Mexico I end up getting alot of truckers on the same line......my Motorolas work real well....... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom