GMU 74 Archery Elk

brookhunter19

A friend and I are going to hunt GMU 74 this year for archery elk. We have not nailed down dates yet. Our plans are to use the motorcycle trail that runs from Upper Hermosa camp ground to the Lower Hermosa camp ground with our on/off road motorcycles. We are planning on using one of the camp grounds as a base camp, riding in on the bikes, and camping out for 2-4 days with backpacks. Then heading back to base camp as needed on the bikes to re-supply. Has anybody else used the same type of tactics? If so, what kind of experience did you have? Any input, or comments on the hunting pressure during archery season in that stretch, what kind of elk numbers to expect, and what creek drainages hold the most elk in that stretch would be appreciated. Also, what dates do you guys prefer to hunt during archery season. I understand that the week of the full moon is usually not that good for elk hunting. This is our first attempt at elk hunting, so any input would be appreicated!

Thanks,

brookhunter

I'm doing something similar but have an ATV, I realize its a single track and you can't get very far on a 4wheeler, you guys should be able to run the gammut with the dirt bikes.
I've never set foot in there, but the elk are around 10,000 feet from what I understand, so coming in from the creek you got a decent hike, good idea to spike it out.
Drainage wise, if I was you, I'd focus on the middle that not as many people like myself can get to. If I was you, I'd try little elk and the parks/benches half way up South Hope.
I'm going first/2nd week of sept, so I'll be focusing on wallows and water if they aren't bugling. If I had an open schedule, I'd get in there right after the muzzleloader hunt and hunt the last week.
There are a few outfitters in the area, I think rifle may be more of a cluster than archery. Its pretty rugged and not much flat land anywhere, just got to outwork everyone else. Be in shape, I could see doing a mile vertical every day in there pretty easy if you go over a couple ridges, seems like every one is 1000 feet plus.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom