Good Ut Cougar

Antler1

I thought I would post some pics. and a quick story to liven things up around here.

Rob Harris the hunter called his wife and asked her to put him in for the sportsman hunts. Rob had already harvested a Cougar before so she wasn't going to put him in but then got the feeling she should so she put him in and he drew the tag.

Rob then called one of his hunting partners to see if he knew anyone with hounds in the southern area. He put him in contact with my nephew who said he would help out. On his first trip down they were on Lions but not able to tree anything. We kept hunting the next few weeks and treed a decent Tom. Excited about what we had found we made plans for Rob to come down the next weekend.

We met up with Rob and his wife met first thing Saturday morning and we started looking for tracks 45 minutes later I cut what looked like a good Tom track. We rounded up the troops and turned out. We had a long rugged hike and worked hard but we have to give most of the credit to the dogs they were awesome. I will let the pics tell the rest of the story.

The Cat ended up measuring 7-1/2 feet with a green score of just under 16". There is a good possibility it will make the books.
43ecd32e51266644.jpg

43ecd350515c739b.jpg

43ecd37c51ada249.jpg

43ecd3df523865b9.jpg

43ecd40752aa7ff9.jpg

43ecd42552ca4102.jpg

43ecd4495300983e.jpg

Looks like a nice tom you took there! Is that a collar on the lion? I thought the UDWR had disallowed the harvest of lions with collars on them in the proclamation? Maybe that was only for one unit or only in that one year study area--who knows. Anyway, congratulations of the catch.

Ike

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-06 AT 11:54AM (MST)[p]I take it this is the collared tom taken on the Monroe this past week with Wade?

I heard it was a good one and it looks good in these pics. Congrats. If I'm not mistaken you can take lions with collars anywhere but on the Oquirrh Stansbury. That's what I was told anyway.

Next time if you wanna have a little fun with those biologists, here is a little tip. When you dump a collared lion take that collar down to the Flying J truck stop, find an 18 wheeler with New Jersey plates and hook that collar on for a little road trip.

I know those toms have been known to travel but I know of a couple that went cross country. ;-) And lions ain't the only travelers. I know of a collared elk in Nevada that lined out one day and was in Minnesota in three days. ;-)
Congrats on a nice tom.

HoundDawg,
This Cat was taken on Monroe but must be a different one then the one your talking about. I did hear of another one taken the same weekend by a gal from the St. George area that might be the one your talking about.

The proclamation said that all remaining cougars on Monroe that are collared are adult females and they request you don't shoot them. We were a little confussed our selves when we got to the tree and seen the collar on a tom. We had a good discussion and made sure it was a tom before it was taken.

Putting the collar on a big rig would make the study more interesting. LOL

Antler,

The one I heard about was a 6 year old tom with a collar on it. The biologist figured it was going to make it another year but he figured wrong. ;-)

Maybe I was mistaken about Wade being the outfitter, but I heard about a nice collared tom taken by a Sportsmans tag, so I figured this was the one.

Either way congrats! Still think you should have hooked that collar onto an 18 wheeler down at the truck stop. :)

Super nice Tom, Send that collar on a road trip tell the driver to pass it on after he hits NJ state line.

Hounddawg,

You had the right cat,when you said with Wade I figured it was the other Tom.

We'll have to wait to tell next year to send any collars on a road trip, There is one other collared tom up there that should be decent next year.

Beautiful cat , congrats on a great trophy ! Those are some great pictures , thanks for sharing em....NMHUNTNUTT

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom